Discuss A sorry way to go in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Poste

Regular EF Member
A kayaker died from a heart attack off the Essex coast after being struck by lightning, his partner said.

It was initially thought Mr Kirkum drowned but post-mortem tests suggested he had been hit by lightning.

BBC News - Kayaker Keith Kirkum died after being hit by lightning, partner says

Obviously condolences to his family but I didn't think lightning struck at sea.
I would have thought the path to earth through all that water would have been less attractive to a lightning bolt than say the nearest land mass.

I don't think I understand lightning very well.

Any thoughts on this one?

ruston

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I know nothing about kayaks ,but is it possible it contains carbon fibre. I read recently that the new generation of aircraft containing carbon fibre can suffer lightning damage .

Rockingit

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Most kayaks are made from GRP so unlikely to be that, but normally the paddles are made around an aluminium shaft so that's more likely. Either way, the poor bugger probably stood twice the chance on a lotto jackpot. That's definitely what the insurers call ' act of god '.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
well, at least that's 1 kayaker who's family can legitimately claim on the life insurance. not like that other bugger that hopped it to south america.

OP
La Poste

La Poste

Regular EF Member
Thankyou Archy.

I shall read the links tomorrow but right now that is a lovely visual display, great to watch with the beers.

You have to respect something like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • Black

Votes: 33 34.0%

Electrician Talk