Discuss A Useful Guide For Replacing Plug Fuses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys & Gals,

I was working recently on fixing a 2KW electrical heater. I came across this thread on this forum:

Domestic - Advice please fuse keeps blowing - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/advice-please-fuse-keeps-blowing.66924/

Although it was abit jumbled (and I cannot reply to it directly) it pointed me in the right direction, so I was able to fix what I thought might be a faulty heater, so I've put together a little guide (that should prove useful) for anyone else in the same boat.

GUIDE:

Change out 13Amp FUSE - But make sure its a Bussmann Brand
fuse , BROWN in colour, with the ASTA diamond mark.

- RETEST

Use 13 Amp fuses from a different PACKET in the plug

- RETEST

Change the ENTIRE plastic plug (with a new fuse)

- RETEST

Plug the HEATER (or other device) into a different mains socket

- RETEST

Avoid FAKE fuses! There are fuses being sold as genuine BS1362
that ARE dangerous. The genuine ones have FLAT ends, bolder
typeface saying Bussmann. (The metal caps are slighly DULLER on
the genuine fuses, too).

Good link to identifying FAKE household fuses:
Counterfeit BS1362 Fuses - http://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/fake-fuses.php

kind regards, nbwriter

A Useful Guide For Replacing Plug Fuses FakeANDGenuineFUSES - EletriciansForums.net

Bussmann are one of many brands out there so it is wrong to suggest you must use Bussmann brand although I suspect you meant 'if it is a bussmann then ensure it is not a fake', all you need to do is buy your fuses from a reputable retailer, if you buy your fuses off a market stall or similar then you may indeed be buying fake but that is the same for phone chargers, batteries well anything electrical all of which can explode or burn your house down or give you a nasty shock...

Your kinda preaching to the converted here IMHO, I doubt any Electrician worth their salt are going to buy their gear off market stalls, those that do are not bothered about fakes anyway.

Last edited:
Dear Contributors,

I wasnt expecting ANY feedback on my little fuse guide, so thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

For GBDamo:

I was honestly able to repair a 2KW convector heater using a combination of advice in an EF thread (The poster had the same issue as me) and abit of research (and testing) on my own part. The heater is still ON TEST now in my bedroom and appears to be working normally. (The thermosat can be heard clicking on and off, the 13 Amp fuse (that I replaced twice) is no longer "blowing" (or possibly closing the circuit, sorry I'm not an electrician, so not sure of correct term). The heating elements are producing heat (that's very welcome during this sub-zero winter we've been experiencing in the UK).

For darkwood:
Bussmann are one of many brands out there so it is wrong to suggest you must use Bussmann brand

Agreed. I read somewhere "Bussmann" are a reputable manufacturer. (And yes, it appears the fakers are using the Bussmann name- possibly illegally?) As an average joe consumer, I was a bit saddened that I could be purchasing sub-standard or even dangerous fuses (it appears the fake ones are sometimes not filled with sand).

Good idea to draw up a list of reputable manufacturers and retailers of household fuses (I will do so, time permitting). Thanks for suggestion.

Testing The Retailers:

Out of interest (and because I'm now running low on fuses) I visited a local Coop Store this morning. I found they do sell "mixed fuses" that has "BS1362" printed on the back of the packet. But I didnt buy them. Looking closely at the "caps", they were shiny AND had large dimples pressed into them, indicating they are probably fakes!

For spinlondon:

Maplins (as a rule) sell higher quality electrical items and accessories: Agreed. I'm in and out of there all the time, due to working on various projects. (In fact, I may check out Maplins household fuses to see how genuine they are!)

kind regards, nbwriter

hi guys... hope you all enjoying summer weather... ?

Update: Fuse Guide

As raised by forum contributor @Darkwood: there are other reputable manufacturers of fuses, beside bussmann. I promised to compile a list to assist forum members (when I had chance). Sorting (my extensive)
collection of parts & tools, today, I came across two "Vernon Fuses". [pic attached]

Studying them carefully, I have concluded these are genuine. (One can tell from the ink used and smaller dimples top and bottom). So, so far, I've got:

Bussmann
Vernons

(Although, these are being faked by "rogue producers", too... You can spot the differences with a bit of practice, hence my guide). Thanks for reading, nbwriter. ?

Attachments

• A Useful Guide For Replacing Plug Fuses VernonsFuses - EletriciansForums.net
    VernonsFuses.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 7
  • A Useful Guide For Replacing Plug Fuses VernonsFuses2 - EletriciansForums.net
    VernonsFuses2.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 7
Hi @DPG

Thanks for feedback ... It's an interesting "journey" finding out which fuses are genuine (and which are not). From what I can tell, there isn't a list of reliable fuse manufacturers anywhere online... ?

I recalled @Darkwood observations while doing a "sort out" today... Currently, I have 5 big boxes of spare electronics components, plus enough tools to start my own repair shop ?

Believe it or not, i'm asked to fix various grinders and machines (where I work) that appear to be "dead". This appears to be due to poor quality fuses blowing, rather than other electrical faults... from what I can tell, under load, a "fake fuse" is more likely to blow than a genuine one.

I was a huge fan of Maplin's and got many components and tools from their outlets.. Not sure why they folded? (Maybe someone will read this post and fill me in). Where can I go now for quality gear?

thanks for reading, NB

Hi @DPG

Thanks for feedback ... It's an interesting "journey" finding out which fuses are genuine (and which are not). From what I can tell, there isn't a list of reliable fuse manufacturers anywhere online... ?

I recalled @Darkwood observations while doing a "sort out" today... Currently, I have 5 big boxes of spare electronics components, plus enough tools to start my own repair shop ?

Believe it or not, i'm asked to fix various grinders and machines (where I work) that appear to be "dead". This appears to be due to poor quality fuses blowing, rather than other electrical faults... from what I can tell, under load, a "fake fuse" is more likely to blow than a genuine one.

I was a huge fan of Maplin's and got many components and tools from their outlets.. Not sure why they folded? (Maybe someone will read this post and fill me in). Where can I go now for quality gear?

thanks for reading, NB

I was also a customer of Maplins for many years. They are missed, along with Tandy.

yeah. even when stocked with components, they'd put 1 component in a bag and charge £5.99 for 1 of what you can get elsewhere for same price per 10.

yeah. even when stocked with components, they'd put 1 component in a bag and charge £5.99 for 1 of what you can get elsewhere for same price per 10.

Tandy were bad for that. And a lot of things like connectors and components you could only buy in packs of 2 for some reason.

from what I can tell, under load, a "fake fuse" is more likely to blow than a genuine one.

I don't think this is true. Counterfeit or non-compliant fuses are more likely to allow excessive energy let-through under short-circuit conditions, more likely to explode and might have a somewhat out-of-spec current rating either too high or too low. But if I encountered a non-compliant fuse that had blown in an appliance despite being of the corrrect rating, I would still assume a fault in the appliance until proven otherwise.

Reply to A Useful Guide For Replacing Plug Fuses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock