Discuss Able Skills Domestic Electrician Package in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TomC21

Hi,

I have just put a deposit down on a Domestic Electrician course with Able Skills in Dartford, Kent. First question is has anyone done any courses there? If so, what was the course like? And how did you get on at Able Skills? I have visited Able Skills with my Dad before putting down the deposit and I must admit the staff were all very friendly and helpful and it did seem very professional and a nice place. The second question is, the course I am doing is the Domestic Electrician New Entrants Package 2.

The qualifications I get from it are:

City and Guilds 4555
City and Guilds 2393 (Level 3 Certificate in Building regs)
City and Guilds 2382 (17th Edition)
City and Guilds 2377 (PAT Testing)
City and Guilds 2392 (Level 2 Certificate in Inspection and Testing)
EAL Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations

I have already searched for Electrician jobs in my area so that once I complete the course I can start applying but pretty much all of the jobs I have seen are asking for Domestic, Commercial and Industrial qualifications. Can someone please help me and tell me what work I would be able to do and what jobs I would be able to apply for with the qualifications I will gain from the course. I was hoping to do this course first, get some experience, see how I get on with the work and also earn some money to sit the Level 2 and 3 courses that Able Skills provide if I decide to.

Many Thanks,
Tom

If your planning on going it alone after you complete those courses you will stand no chance of making it. You need an apprenticeship or years of working as a mate alongside a good sparky.. honestly tom everyone on this forum will tell you the same these courses do not do justice.. if you want to be a "qualified" electrician you need to complete the NVQ 3 and AM2.. get yourself a mates job and learn to walk before you can run

Hi,

I have just put a deposit down on a Domestic Electrician course with Able Skills in Dartford, Kent. First question is has anyone done any courses there? If so, what was the course like? And how did you get on at Able Skills? I have visited Able Skills with my Dad before putting down the deposit and I must admit the staff were all very friendly and helpful and it did seem very professional and a nice place. The second question is, the course I am doing is the Domestic Electrician New Entrants Package 2.

City and Guilds 4555
EAL Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations

I have already searched for Electrician jobs in my area so that once I complete the course I can start applying but pretty much all of the jobs I have seen are asking for Domestic, Commercial and Industrial qualifications. Can someone please help me and tell me what work I would be able to do and what jobs I would be able to apply for with the qualifications I will gain from the course. I was hoping to do this course first, get some experience, see how I get on with the work and also earn some money to sit the Level 2 and 3 courses that Able Skills provide if I decide to.

Many Thanks,
Tom

You will not be a qualified electrician of any kind by parting with your money for these "qualifications".

You would be far better off speaking to your local college about either the C&G 2357 or the C&G 2365.

You could start the 2365 without employment. You would need to complete the onsite NVQ 3 after this also the AM2 to become fully qualified. The 2357 includes all this in one but you would need employment in the electrical industry for at least 30 hours a week to be accepted on the course.

Good luck :smile:

Complete waste of money. Get out while you still can!

Not a single one of those 'qualifications' listed mean anything in real terms and will give you little to no electrical installation knowledge whatsoever. Get down to your local college and get on the C&G 2365. It'll end up being a darn sight cheaper and in the long run, you'll actually end up qualified, thus meaning you might find gainful employment within the industry hopefully with a view to completing your NVQ and becoming fully qualified.

You don't have a hope in hell of finding a job after completing a short course.

Can't say anything that doesn't agree with the above posts. You don't say how old you are or if you are currently in employment or leaving school, etc. Whatever the situation, short course is not the answer. Able Skills are a money making concern after your money..nothing more, nothing less.

Get your deposit back NOW!!

Take note on what you've been told above and go down the correct route to obtain the meaningful qualifications you will need to become a Qualified Electrician....

Hi,

City and Guilds 4555

Many Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom. These qualifications are not useless but they are being miss-sold as the full ticket. They are actually individual add on qualifications that a qualified Electrician would take, they are missing the actual "Electrician" qualification (2365, 2357).If you really want to know just look closely at jobs online and see what they are asking for in terms of qualifications and experience, that's what really matters.

all those qualifications will do is get you entry into a scheme like niceic/elecsa ( coupled with you paying them around £500, on top of building up a library of necessary books ) in order to join the self-employed cut-throat rat race of house bashing, for which you will be woefully under qualified and under experienced. no employer , esp. in the industrial sector considers short course qualifications to be of any use outside of disneyland. i.e they're mickey mouse. the ols saying " if it looks too good to be true.........."

Poor kid. Probably had his heart set on this. These bloody colleges have a lot to answer for.

There ''NOT'' colleges are they, ...they are merely private money making Rip Off training centres, that prey on the unsuspecting. Though anyone that can actually believe they can become a qualified tradesman in a matter of a few weeks needs a reality check.

Unfortunately it has a lot to do with the modern thinking of, ...''I want it, and i want it now''!!

Reply to Able Skills Domestic Electrician Package in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock