Discuss About to join a scheme.... Need to be "observed". in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
The question is I have picked up so many bad habits, safe isolation, etc. Normally no one is present and it's me, lockout kit has gathered dust. Of course not removing the light bulbs is another... Do I need to get back to my exam and dot the i's and cross the t's for the observation?

Also, do I need the 18th now, I only do about 2-3 tests a year. Don't like installing fault finding is my forte...

To join a scam (sorry) scheme you must be up to date. It is mandatory for you to have up to date copies of the regs and have passed the "18th" exam.

You will be asked a number of competence questions during the annual assessment. You may be asked to outline and/or demonstrate some particular items and - like the driving test - you will not know which. These are be from a whole list of things that should be how you carry out your daily work as an electrician. Could be safe isolation, might be RCD testing, might be measurement of R1+R2 on a ring final, might be determination of PFC, Ze, describe the requirements of GS38, all sorts.

You'd better start better working habits or you might get caught out.

If you hold the 17th it would probably suffice,
Just promise you to take the
18th before the end of the year....

My guy took a pic of me using the 2 pole voltage tester during safe isolation. I asked him if it was a rare sight - he didn’t think it was funny :) .

My guy took a pic of me using the 2 pole voltage tester during safe isolation. I asked him if it was a rare sight - he didn’t think it was funny :) .
I have to agree. I've cracked a joke or 2 during assessment and they just stay stony faced. Now I just stay boringly professional and get it over and done with as quickly as possible.

The question is I have picked up so many bad habits, safe isolation, etc. Normally no one is present and it's me, lockout kit has gathered dust. Of course not removing the light bulbs is another... Do I need to get back to my exam and dot the i's and cross the t's for the observation?

Also, do I need the 18th now, I only do about 2-3 tests a year. Don't like installing fault finding is my forte...
That's very honest of you Lam Thai. I wonder how many of us actual use a lock off kit in a domestic situation!
It sounds like you know what to do so I would just start getting back into good habits before the assessment.
I have a long list of absolutely everything I 'should' know which I go through a week before the assessment.
This includes the correct order to do all the testing, safe isolation procedure, having the padlock key (for lock off kit) to hand, proving unit in kit etc etc. I then actually stay in the good habits..... for a while!

I have to agree. I've cracked a joke or 2 during assessment and they just stay stony faced. Now I just stay boringly professional and get it over and done with as quickly as possible.

That just depends on the indivual, the NICEIC assessor I've had for the last couple of years is a perfectly normal down to earth guy.
It also depends how easy you make their job, have all the paperwork ready and the sample jobs 100% to the book.

That's very honest of you Lam Thai. I wonder how many of us actual use a lock off kit in a domestic situation!
It sounds like you know what to do so I would just start getting back into good habits before the assessment.
I have a long list of absolutely everything I 'should' know which I go through a week before the assessment.
This includes the correct order to do all the testing, safe isolation procedure, having the padlock key (for lock off kit) to hand, proving unit in kit etc etc. I then actually stay in the good habits..... for a while!

Any chance of PM'ing me the list, I already know what I'm going demonstrate 2 radial circuits in a garage with a 6-8 way DB, all RCBO. I'm keeping simple no ring circuit and no removing of bulbs..

Joining Stroma as they were cheapest...

Any chance of PM'ing me the list, I already know what I'm going demonstrate 2 radial circuits in a garage with a 6-8 way DB, all RCBO. I'm keeping simple no ring circuit and no removing of bulbs..

I'll have a hunt for it today and see if I can get it written out a bit more neatly as it's been added to over the years and is a bit ram shackled!
When is your assessment?

I've typed it out so it's readable and PM'd it to you.

NAPIT today announced they have acquired STROMA, so you may find a change in your entry requirements, and your choice of STROMA because they were “cheapest”!

STROMA May be bound by the T&Cs that you have already agreed with them. But it’s a dead cert (!) that NAPIT will bring STROMA subs in line with their own.

Reply to About to join a scheme.... Need to be "observed". in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock