Discuss AC volt drop on pv system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

paulsamuel1984

I am currently designing a 29kW system for installation on an agricultural barn.

The PV system will feed into a 3ph db in the barn. The exisitng db is fed from a 63A fuse switch, approx 50m away with a 16mm cable. The fuse switch is in turn fed from the DNO cabinet approx 100m away with a 35mm cable.

The volt drop of the new pv install is approx 0.08% but the overall volt drop to the DNO point of connection is 2.46% by my calculations.

I have spoke to the DNO and they advised to put a voltage recorder on the load end to see what the current volt drop is.

The DNO has adivsed that generally a 12V - 13V (-6%) is acceptable, I am currently at 6V volt drop.

Has anyone come accross this situation before, I know the DTI guide says 1%.

Do I need to upgrade one of the existing cables?

2 issues:
- does it make economic sense to increase the size of the cable(s). Will you get your money back from less power loss.
- given local conditions and the likely voltage rise are you likely to hit voltage limits on inverters and get drop outs.

Beware DNOs talking about voltage drops; they do not normally mean within installations.

Regards
Bruce

Reply to AC volt drop on pv system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi All, I have a client who is developing a plot of land for a single house. Currently, their 100 amp service cut-out is in a cubicle fed by...
Replies
Views
My customer currently has a shed at the bottom of his garden. The shed is approx 70m from the house as it is a huge garden. The shed has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new to here. Just designing a sub main, very long time since I have done this so just wanted some thoughts. Its to a summerhouse sort of...
Replies
Views
Hi I've a few questions regarding volt drop. Apologies if its a little longwinded but I'd like to get my head around everything. An example...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Quick brain pick. If I don't care about voltage drop (eg. all components on the circuit will run between 100-250V) and current capacity...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock