Discuss AC90 running on garage (aluminum) ceiling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BCBill

DIY
Reaction score
I know - needs some explaining: I am improving my old house's garage wiring and need to run on the aluminum ceiling. The ceiling is aluminum as the garage is actually a covered-in carport. Anyway, I am assuming that AC90 armoured cable can be secured to the aluminum ceiling without affecting the inherent grounding system of the cable......I found no mention of running on aluminum surfaces when researching, but it appears that AC90 can be run in trays (metal) or parallel to metal studs....Therefore, is it ok? Thanks for any advice, Bill....oops, I think wrong forum - will see if I can move. Bill

I know - needs some explaining: I am improving my old house's garage wiring and need to run on the aluminum ceiling. The ceiling is aluminum as the garage is actually a covered-in carport. Anyway, I am assuming that AC90 armoured cable can be secured to the aluminum ceiling without affecting the inherent grounding system of the cable......I found no mention of running on aluminum surfaces when researching, but it appears that AC90 can be run in trays (metal) or parallel to metal studs....Therefore, is it ok? Thanks for any advice, Bill....oops, I think wrong forum - will see if I can move. Bill
Bill the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be running MC cable inside your building

Bill the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be running MC cable inside your building
Thanks for replying Megawatt. This garage, I think, qualifies as inside the building - it was converted years ago to a garage from a carport (the aluminum ceiling from the carport was kept)....And the walls are covered in gyprock. I need to run to the converted-to LED fluorescent fixtures on the surface of the ceiling. So, I was hoping, and assuming that AC90 is fine to be secured to the metal ceiling with the appropriate clamps....And the aluminum ceiling does not compromise the grounding/bonding of the cable system.

Thanks for replying Megawatt. This garage, I think, qualifies as inside the building - it was converted years ago to a garage from a carport (the aluminum ceiling from the carport was kept)....And the walls are covered in gyprock. I need to run to the converted-to LED fluorescent fixtures on the surface of the ceiling. So, I was hoping, and assuming that AC90 is fine to be secured to the metal ceiling with the appropriate clamps....And the aluminum ceiling does not compromise the grounding/bonding of the cable system.
Bill it’s fine to run the cable that you want but remember that the building has to be GFCI protected and bond the metal with your equipment ground. Good luck my friend

Reply to AC90 running on garage (aluminum) ceiling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net