Discuss Access 2 Tade Careers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm in the process of signing up with Access2Trade largely due to this post and the helpful people who have submitted info on it.
On another post a member has posted this with regards to the qualifications we will gain on the course:
"Maybe if you want to become a professional electrician you should be looking at the C&G 2330 and the 2356, coupled with the part p and the 2382. This will train you in domestic, commercial and industrial environments. The courses you mentioned only have domestic elements and you will not be a qualified "electrician"."
Is this the case as I haven't signed the cheque yet!!
Any help would be much appreciated!

Hmm

A familiar quote. The information is 100% correct but don't just take my word for it. Here is some helpful information from independant bodies:-

City and Guilds

JIB

Mention you want to be a qualified 'electrician' and ask them what qualifications you would need.

Try this link:-

Electrician Job Profile

A common misconception is training providers offering a domestic installers course with part p, 17th edition, 2392 (initial verification) and 2391 (inspection testing) and calling it a 'Professional Electrician' course. However a glorified 'Domestic Installer' is what they should call it as you are restricted to only working in domestic environments. A qualified 'Electrician' is multiskilled and is elligible to work in commercial, industrial and commercial environments. They are recognised in the trade as being skilled and can further their training such as working in power stations and factories.

Choose your course wisely and don't always take answers as face value. It's important to do your background research.

Good luck

Hi i started this course back in Feb 2009 and next week i go away to do my 3rd week, the 17th Edtion and the G & G 2392-10 Level 2. on passing these i can then apply to join 1 of the governing bodies and work as Domestic Electrician.
This is what i started this course to do and a couple of lads i met in March on week 1 are now doing that.
I signed up for the full course and people i have spoken with say that if i get the C & G 2391-10 level 3 and the C & G 2377-12 Level 3 then the worlds my oyster?

So far i feel money well spent and i will give my update to this when i retun, hopefully with good news ??????????

Hi Graham, and as I said earlier, thanks for starting this post as it has proved really useful so far. Besim has made me rethink my options a little though. I do intend to work in the domestic market but I also have customers in offices, warehouses schools etc who definitely want me to do their electrical work when I'm qualified(I currently work as a data installer). I'm still a little confused as to whether Access 2 Trade will give me the qualifications necessary to be able to do this??? Guess I better keep on with the research!

Hi has far has i understand there are no regulations for commercial work other than you are a competant person unlike domistic where you have to be Part P? somebody may correct me.

But of all the courses out there i have not come across any bad feedback back about Access2Trade?

You do what feel best for you and good luck

Graham

You cannot work in a commercial environment unsupervised without the 2330 L2+ L3 and 2356 (NVQ3) or previous qualifications i.e the 236 or 2360 P1 and P2.

There may not be bad feedback about access 2 trade yet as they are quite new to the industry, however after looking on their website they advertise a 'professional electrician' without offering the 2330 the electrician course, with only domestic training. Isn't this a form of mis-selling?

You be the judge...

Hi Besim

Your post got me thinking so i asked access2trade and this is the reply.

"The good news is that the training you are doing will let you work as a commerical and industrial electrician. You do not need the 2330 in order to be classed as a qualified or professional electrician

The 2391 is regarded as the most complicated exams, even by highly trained sparkies, and this is what you'll take at the end of your training (no pressure!)

The 2330 is what people normally train towards if they follow the apprentice route. It takes a long time, up to four years, because most people are released on day leave to study."

And as i said i my last post the 2391 is the important 1. Two sparks i spoke to before i enrolled, 1 is a electrical company director the other a team manager both mentioned the 2391 and said thats the 1 which a lot of people shy away from.

But i feel happy with what i am doing and so do the people i have meet on the course.

Graham.

Hi Besim

Your post got me thinking so i asked access2trade and this is the reply.

"The good news is that the training you are doing will let you work as a commerical and industrial electrician. You do not need the 2330 in order to be classed as a qualified or professional electrician

The 2391 is regarded as the most complicated exams, even by highly trained sparkies, and this is what you'll take at the end of your training (no pressure!)

The 2330 is what people normally train towards if they follow the apprentice route. It takes a long time, up to four years, because most people are released on day leave to study."

And as i said i my last post the 2391 is the important 1. Two sparks i spoke to before i enrolled, 1 is a electrical company director the other a team manager both mentioned the 2391 and said thats the 1 which a lot of people shy away from.

But i feel happy with what i am doing and so do the people i have meet on the course.

Graham.

I'm sorry to say that if that is what they have told you, it is a total lie. There is no qualification that they offer which will allow you to work 'LEGALLY' on a commercial or industrial premises unsupervised. With regards to being a qualified electrician the 2391 is not important at all. The 2391 allows one to do periodic testing and signing off electrical installations others have made. It doesn't allow you to do an office block rewire. It is a good money earner and should be done by a qualified experienced electrician.

A 2391 should not be even attempted by someone with only a basic understanding of domestic installations. One of the main units of the 2330 level 3 course is inspection testing and commissioning. A crucial unit one needs to learn on theory and practice before even attempting the 2391 exam. And even then then exam is still tough but at least one has a chance.

The 2330 is not only available on the apprentice route, can be done privately also.

The end result should be working towards the NVQ3 2356, what you need to be recognised as an approved electrician. This also happens to be a listed qualification if one wanted to immigrate somewhere for example. It is the current industry standard. No other qualifications hold this weight I'm afraid.

Hi Basim

What if i dont want to rewire a office block? what if i just want to be a house basher, i dont see what the problem is that you have with the course i am doing?

I dont want do appear to be rude and really enjoy being part of this forum, but i am doing this to improve my life and have loads of good feedback from A) people doing the course and B) poeple who have replied to questions i have posted

At the end of the day we all have 1 thing in common, ELECTRICITY, Sung by OMD Cracking song.

Regards

Graham

Hi Basim

What if i dont want to rewire a office block? what if i just want to be a house basher, i dont see what the problem is that you have with the course i am doing?

I dont want do appear to be rude and really enjoy being part of this forum, but i am doing this to improve my life and have loads of good feedback from A) people doing the course and B) poeple who have replied to questions i have posted

At the end of the day we all have 1 thing in common, ELECTRICITY, Sung by OMD Cracking song.

Regards

Graham

Hi Graham, i'm not sure Basim is saying he has a problem with the course you are doing, he is simply saying that it won't legally allow you to work in a commercial premises.
The problem is Access are saying it will, someone has got it wrong I just haven't found any other info to justify either yet.
But what I don't understand is if you just want to be a house basher why do the 2391 qualification which allows you to test commercial premises? I will be rewiring office blocks (hopefully!), and I can't afford to invest £6k in something that offers a "professional electrician course" but won't allow me to operate as one.

Fingers crossed it will all become clear soon.......:)

Hi

Altough i just want to be a house basher i may at a later stage want to progress to other things, so signed up to the full course to get it out of the way.

just googled both of these exams and found the following

http://www.cityandguilds.com/documents/ind_construction_electrical/2330-FAQ.pdf

City and Guilds 2391 and 2392 Qualifications - Building Regulations Compliance - Specifiers and LandLords - NICEIC Group

Feel happy with what i am doing and the information Access have given me.

Hopefully at the end of next week i will have full filled step 1 and have 17th edtion and the C & G 2392-10 level 10 and can apply to join a governing body, ( which one still not sure?)

Thanks to all for imput and hope that between us we are helping other people.

Graham

You've certainly helped me Graham, good luck with the rest of the course, i'll be in touch if I ending going with access 2 trade,

All the best

Hi Graham, i'm not sure Basim is saying he has a problem with the course you are doing, he is simply saying that it won't legally allow you to work in a commercial premises.
The problem is Access are saying it will, someone has got it wrong I just haven't found any other info to justify either yet.
But what I don't understand is if you just want to be a house basher why do the 2391 qualification which allows you to test commercial premises? I will be rewiring office blocks (hopefully!), and I can't afford to invest £6k in something that offers a "professional electrician course" but won't allow me to operate as one.

Fingers crossed it will all become clear soon.......:)

Totally agree with your comment here dimspark

Graham..... Your a legend - thanks!

Guitar Graham..... You're a legend - thanks!

Guitar Graham..... You're a legend - thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not long finished my first week. You get a first class set of tools check you have everything and do it quick as you dont get long. The first week is really busy you start in on a lighting system two way switch, single way switch and a down lighter There are also quite a lot of exams to do in the classroom but if I can do it anyone can the tutors are very good but I would say Wade is the main man if you have any problems.
Cheers Rook45

ok so what you guys are saying is to work in the industry as an "electrician" you need C&G 2330??

what do you need to do this ?

I'm currently on the access to trade careers "professional" electrician and now a bit annoyed to find out about this C&G 2330 not being on my course.

could I do the 2330 while still doing my access course? And if so when would be the best time to do this during the course, or after??

any help would be very much appreciated, im still kinda confused as to what i need to have in the industry; from what i understand the access course is kinda skipping a step by not having the 2330? confused :S lol

any help would be much appreciated :)

Also would like to know what exams etc are in the first week :) if any one can tell me :)

Hi all, has promised my week 3 update?

It was 1 hell of a week, totally fried my brains.But its only what i thought it would be.
Monday 17th edtion exam, all seem to go pair shape, but got through and got a pass.

Tuesday, dead and live testing, morning in the class room and afternoon in the testing bay, my head was totally gone, Jason the tutour was giving me and another lad a really hard time, but we where struggling? Wednesday back to the bay we had it sorted, Jason,s technique was spot on, just what we needed.
Thursday morning go threw the tests then in the afternoon in to the testing bay, 2 hours pratical exam doing dead and live testing, must of lost a stone? only 4 of us in the class and all passed.
Friday morning, 1 hour prep for the theory testing, 2 hours later all 4 passed. Mission complete, now quaified has a domestic electrician.

Big thanks to Jason the tutour, he really pushed me hard and got me through it.

to Doug, the 2330 is the apprentice route, check out the links in the thread for more info.

Thanks to all who PM,ed me, my next update will be in the New Year when i start on my own.

Graham

Hi all, has promised my week 3 update?

It was 1 hell of a week, totally fried my brains.But its only what i thought it would be.
Monday 17th edtion exam, all seem to go pair shape, but got through and got a pass.

Tuesday, dead and live testing, morning in the class room and afternoon in the testing bay, my head was totally gone, Jason the tutour was giving me and another lad a really hard time, but we where struggling? Wednesday back to the bay we had it sorted, Jason,s technique was spot on, just what we needed.
Thursday morning go threw the tests then in the afternoon in to the testing bay, 2 hours pratical exam doing dead and live testing, must of lost a stone? only 4 of us in the class and all passed.
Friday morning, 1 hour prep for the theory testing, 2 hours later all 4 passed. Mission complete, now quaified has a domestic electrician.

Big thanks to Jason the tutour, he really pushed me hard and got me through it.

to Doug, the 2330 is the apprentice route, check out the links in the thread for more info.

Thanks to all who PM,ed me, my next update will be in the New Year when i start on my own.

Graham

The 2330 is not the apprentice route. It's the electrician Route. It can be done via college or through private companies. If you were a school leaver or adult apprentice and you approached your local college to become an electrician they would put you through the 2330 L2 (2 years for most colleges) and 2330 L3 (1 year). Doing this course distance learning (Theory from home) will take around 6 months each level (give or take).

The most important thing is the 2330 will train you and certify you to work in commercial, industrial and domestic rather than just domestic which is what you can work in with the course you are doing. Once the NVQ3 2356 is achieved, your are an approved electrician, add a part p and 17th edition, you can get a JIB S grade gold card (one of the most presteigous in the industry).

Please read my previous posts Doug but if you want to know more, let me know

This Link may help

Electrician Job Profile

Ok so would I be right in saying that as well as doing

EAL VRQ Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers
City & Guilds 2382-10 Level 3 Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installation (17th Edition)
City & Guilds 2392-10 Level 2 Certificate in the Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification
City & Guilds 2391-10 Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations
City & Guilds 2377-12 Level 3 Certificate for the Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment

I would also need to do the

2330 AND NVQ3 2356 or just one??

thanks Besim10 for your help :)

EAWR 1989 Regulation 16

"No person shall engage in work that requires technical knowledge or experience to prevent danger or injury, unless he has that knowledge or experience, or is under appropriate supervision.
Standard of duty - absolute."

There is no mention of any C & G qualifications, but I guess they are 1 way of proving a level of competence. :rolleyes:

Reply to Access 2 Tade Careers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock