Discuss Access 2 Tade Careers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Re: Access2trade careers

Hi
for those interested i have just completed my 2nd training module and i am now Part P quilified.

The week was tuff, arrived at training centre 8.15 in to classroom at 8.30 for quick Part P brief, break for smoke and coffee then at 11.00 up to the exam room, quick run down on how the prograame works then a mock exam to get us used to the system then onto the Part P exam, 13 out if 14 passed.

Rest of the week was split between classroom and workshop were we installed a cu a cooker supply with socket/swich and a ring main with a fused spur. Then did all the bonding, ded and live tests filling out a installation cert as we went.

In the class room we had 6 AMAs along the way and some of them were tuff, 1 lad failed 2 and then struggled with the re-sits and on Thursday morning they suggested he go home and re-study and do the full week again at a later date.

Friday was spend getting us ready for are next training module week which includes the 17th Edition exam, so we were all given the BIG RED BOOK, boy what a cracking read?????????????

Then in the afternoon they explaind the ADIABATIC EQUATION ? you could see peoples brians running out of there ears? then said " but you don't need to know it because is at the back of the OSG " finally left at 5.00 totally knackared.

Now have to study and complete 13 on-line AMAs before i can book my next training week, think it will take 2 to 3 months because there is a lot to learn.

Regards

Graham

Just completed the 2nd week myself at the beginning of August, It really does need to be said that the guys who do the training down there are absolutley spot on!

My week was exactly as you said Graham, may also be worth mentioning if any one is going to week 2 to make sure you know your building regs other than those in Part P. The online exam is set into 3 sections:

1) Demonstrate an understanding of what are building regulations and approved documents (4 Q's)
2) Demonstrate an understanding of Approved Document P (7 Q's)
3) Demonstrate an understanding of other applicable building regulations and approved documents (9 Q's)

I'll rack my brains to think of some example questions that I had to give an idea.

Hi there. I'm also thinking about doing this course. I was hoping to find more info about it than what is posted here. has anybody actually completed the course?

They say their careers department can help find you work and the guy I've been speaking to says they generally don't have people leaving the course without having a job to go into(not exactly a promise, but he sounded very positive about it). I can get a loan to do the course, which isn't such a bad thing if they get me work half the way through, like they say they will.

Colin, have they helped find you employment yet? Is there anyone else on the course who can tell me anything about the employment side of things here?

Graham, are any of the people doing the course with you having the same problems as Colin here as regards employment?

hi guys the teachers and great but the rest are not very good. have only started to send emails about jobs that they find on the net from places like gumtree and total jobs. found own job in end after long time searching, be ready not to work untill after week 3 and not 2 like they say.

Looking through the qualifications that you get but cant see the C&G 2330 anywhere. Surely this is the most important qualification to get as it teaches you background knowledge and aint it the one that apprentiships would study??

Hi all

Thanks Sean for re-lighting this thread.

I am finding the course fantastic and really enjoying it, but i am finding the 3rd lot of course work a bit harder, which is only what you would expect as is for the 17th Edition exam.

The company is still fairly new so things are improving all the time, i started getting e-mails from them after i finished week 2 training with help for wtiting CV and business start up help and jobs they have found in my area. I dont expect a mirale from them to find me a job but its nice to know they are trying.

Hi Colin, i pressume you have done your third week? how did it go, good i hope. PM me if you could with any tips???

Hi M4tty, not sure what 2330 is, but if i want to join governing body like ELECSA i need the 2382 level 10 17th edition, unless i am mistaken.

Cheers Graham

Hmmm, now I'm rethinking.... The course Mac has highlighted is looking more tempting to me.

A lot more crammed into a smaller space of time though. The thing i liked about the access2 course was the space of time to get your head around it, but it does seem very expensive in comparison to the TEC20 and even the TEC30(both of which contain more modules).

I guess it all depends on what time you have spare.

By the nature of these types of courses you wouldn't be able to individually compare them like for like. I mean, you aint gonna do one and then the other and see which was best. So all you can do is get the feedback from the people who are doing the courses.
I'm currently doing the Access2Trade course and from my experience I have only positive experiences from what I have been doing. The guys who do the practical and theory on the weeks with them have been very helpfull and also in touch with the real world. The learning methods between modules consist of self researching theory and online testing. This again fits in well with you lifestyle as I can either do as much or as little as I like depending on how I feel / how busy I am etc..
Yes the cost is high, but I do not feel as though any quality is being compromised.

Well there's my two pennys worth. All the best!

Hi guys,

I am on the Access2Tradecareers course and I have just finished AMA1.6 and awaiting placement on my first practical course, I must admit for someone who hasn't had is head in a book for over 10 years the process of which they set you learning objectives in my eyes are excellent.
Yes this course is costly but there is no time frame for your coursework, its at your own pace which eleviates so much pressure for you. And cost wise, at a little over £100 a month for the next 4-5 years, you dont really notice it.
Its the same kind of expense as your Mrs getting a new motor on tap. Except you will be on triple what your wages are by the time you have paid it off, well for a ForkLift truck Driver like me anyways. :D

Got any tips for the first practical session?

Wallicio
Padwan Learner

Wallicio, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Currently picking up AMA 3's after having a break for a couple of months due to being busy wih a new job. I'm looking forward to getting back for week 3 sometime soon.

All the best, Paul

I've been speaking to Access 2 Trade, not overly impressed with the people I spoke to over the phone, I've been quoted £5995 which I have been told is non negotiable. Anyone any tips on how to go about getting the £5495 price that I've seen a quoted on here. £5.5k was push but £6k seems extortionate. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I've been speaking to Access 2 Trade, not overly impressed with the people I spoke to over the phone, I've been quoted £5995 which I have been told is non negotiable. Anyone any tips on how to go about getting the £5495 price that I've seen a quoted on here. £5.5k was push but £6k seems extortionate. Any advice would be much appreciated!
This course is nearly half the price and just as good.
Electrical Training Courses Tec20: Comprehensive Courses for Electricians and Non-Electrical Persons

Hi Wallicio, i see you are waiting your first practical i have just started and have done AMA1.2 so far, i am wondering how long you have to wait to get booked onto a practical week and when is the next one. The impression i got was you dont have to wait very long is this correct.

Hi Pete3,

The next day they got back to me with a full list of course dates with vacancies, soonest course is a fortnight If by the time i replied they still had a vacancy on it, got to ok it with the boss first and hopefully get away last week of November. :)

How are you getting on with your AMA's?

Wallicio
Padwan Learner

Walicio,

I've done the first six AMA's and am going on the first practical at the end of November ( 30th - 4th) the week before was fully booked.

Pete3

Hi Guys,
I've got a rep from Access2 trade coming to see me on Weds 18th Nov. Still very wary of signing up for the course but I found your comments reassuring!

Just wondering how Guitar Graham, Pete3 and Wallicio are getting on, should I go for it?

Thats a shame Pete3, I got 7-11 Dec as work has and will be mad and its the only week i can get, looks like you will have to update me on the 5th before i head off on the 6th. exciting times eh!

You banged out your AMA's quickly didnt you? took me a while to do the last 3. Glad i have had to wait a little while though, am goiing over them a lot so everything is crystal before the first practical week, dont wanna turn up and fluff it.

Careful, relax, the course so far for me is good. yes there are others out there at a fraction of the price but to be fair you do get what you pay for with access2trade, learning is at your own pace and they are only a call/e-mail away if you dont quite get something. for me I dont think i could do a 20 day course, for 1 i couldnt afford to lose 20days+pay and i cant see my employer letting me have that amount of time off and 2 i dont think i could learn that quickly. Its each to their own and it is your decision mate.

Its the end result that matters anyway doesnt it, not the route in but the qualifications and experience. Something where you can earn decent money by applying a bit of brain, rather that carting boxes around on a forklift, well thats why i want to get into it anyways. :)

Good luck Pete3!

Wallicio
Padwan Learner

Thats a shame you got the week after me.
Yes i did manage the AMA's quite quickly, i was doing it full time though, about 8 hours a day. I am going ot use the next two weeks to go over everything a few more times as it was all beginning to bounce off a bit at the end.
I could have got on a practical next week, and the week after was fully booked, so they do appear to run the practicals every week.

As to the cost, yes it is a lot of money but compared to the IT industry where i came from, a weeks training would cost anything from 1000 to 1800 GBP not including VAT i think this course is quite good value.

Good luck on your week.

Pete

Thanks for the reply Wallicio, I agree with your thoughts on the 20 day course, there's no way you could be up to scratch in such a short time. I think I may well bite the bullet and go for it!
Good luck for 7th to 11th Dec!!!!

Reply to Access 2 Tade Careers in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock