Discuss Access training Cardiff electrical course, is it worth doing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I was hoping someone people on here could give me some advice on a electrical course with access training. I’ve seen mixed reviews but would like to hear from someone who has done the course. Has anyone done this course or know if it’s any good? And I’ve been told by them that after completing the course that it’s possible to work towards a AM2 qualification and apply for a JIB gold card but most people don’t bother because they earn more without it? Something about JIB gold card holders earn a basic pay of £30K and domestic installers typically earn 40-45k.... They’re obviously trying g hard to sell me the course but I’m really not sure if it’s just a waste of time and money? They’ve offered me the course half price so it would be £2,500 ish and they keep calling me every day about it. I’ve attached the qualifications the course offers and what they say I could do afterwards.
Thanks for your replies in advance!

553E9285-D333-4898-842B-C90421A0D983.jpeg

B2481106-B47F-4151-8567-75876BD0EFAF.jpeg

CC45FB9F-9FC8-4586-BBA9-F66D796EF4D6.jpeg

mickey mouse domestic Electrical Trainee course. to be a "proper" electrician, you need 2365 levels 2 and 3, followed on with NVQ3 and AM2. part p and pat testing qualifications are as much use as a wet fart in a thunderstorm. most of the rest would be included or picked up during your main course. speak to your local college/s and if you're young enough, try and get an apprenticeship. the practical experience is worth it's weight in gold.

Is this C&G or EAL qualifications. What exactly are the qualifications? Numbers like 2391 and so on, do you know them can you find out?

Last edited by a moderator:
all that course will give you is an entry into one of the competent person scams enabling you to work in the domestic field as a self-employed donkey, entering the race to the bottom by undercutting the competition in order to get work in an over saturated market. you might be busy, but you'll always be poor.

@Christopher jenkins ,

Welcome to the forums.

If the course hasn't changed, it will contain a Logic Training Domestic Installer Qualification and City and Guilds exams 2377 (PAT Testing), 2382 (Wiring Regs), 2392 (Fundamental Initial Verification), 2393 (Building Regs for Electricians - colloquially known as 'The Part P exam' which is wrong because it covers all the building regs applicable to us), 2391 I guess (which is the initial verification, inspection and testing qual that replaced 2394 and 2394).

If you have plenty of practical experience (i.e. you would feel confident knocking other peoples homes around and installing cables and equipment), then it can be a gateway into the industry, but it will not get you a JIB card. Forget the figures they spout about earnings, it takes time to build a business and if you were to seek employment with just those quals you'd be starting at the bottom of the ladder.

As others have said, 2365 is the way to go along with the NVQ3 and AM2.

For the record, I used Access Training in Cardiff and am now in my 3rd year of trading. I am also in the process of gaining the NVQ and AM2 (via government funding with another training provider). So, it can be done but if you have little or no practical experience it will definitely not work out well because there is simply no time in the course for it.

Edit - Just corrected the course number for the building regs exam, was 2392, should have been 2393.

Last edited:
I think I would be a bit wary of this course Christopher. I did a similar course over 6 months and it was made very clear to me that I was only to carry out work in domestic premises, not commercial. Also it was made very clear to me that I would not be classed as an electrician whereas this course is wording it to make it sound like you are.

In addition they are making exaggerated claims about the potential earnings and amount of work you will get. That rings alarm bells as they are as good as lying which is not a good sign for a learning provider.

I would go to your local college and ask about electrical courses they provide, they may offer a domestic installers (DI) course. If they do offer this course it is likely to be cheaper and more professional.

If you search on this site you will see a number of posts by me which are not particularly complementary about Access Training. Yes I achieved a load of the C&G qualifications plus the Logic Certification through them but the experience was very painful and like pulling teeth. The company in my view was very disorganised with clear tensions between tutors, management and students. Practical element was very short/limited as were the rigs for inspection an testing. Tutors were slow or failed to submit coursework for checking (they lost some of mine that then had to be re done).
I likened them to hard sell double glazing salesmen. If you look like you’re about to commit on initial price then back out, all of a sudden a new deal comes out at massive price reduction.
Take advice above and look at local colleges offering 2365 and save a load of money. There are however other Electrical Trainee course providers that have good reviews on here. Enjoy:)

@Christopher jenkins ,

Welcome to the forums.

If the course hasn't changed, it will contain a Logic Training Domestic Installer Qualification and City and Guilds exams 2377 (PAT Testing), 2382 (Wiring Regs), 2392 (Fundamental Initial Verification), 2393 (Building Regs for Electricians - colloquially known as 'The Part P exam' which is wrong because it covers all the building regs applicable to us), 2391 I guess (which is the initial verification, inspection and testing qual that replaced 2394 and 2394).

If you have plenty of practical experience (i.e. you would feel confident knocking other peoples homes around and installing cables and equipment), then it can be a gateway into the industry, but it will not get you a JIB card. Forget the figures they spout about earnings, it takes time to build a business and if you were to seek employment with just those quals you'd be starting at the bottom of the ladder.

As others have said, 2365 is the way to go along with the NVQ3 and AM2.

For the record, I used Access Training in Cardiff and am now in my 3rd year of trading. I am also in the process of gaining the NVQ and AM2 (via government funding with another training provider). So, it can be done but if you have little or no practical experience it will definitely not work out well because there is simply no time in the course for it.

Edit - Just corrected the course number for the building regs exam, was 2392, should have been 2393.
Hell, I want to join Access Training can you please tell me more about your experience? What is the other provider to gain NVQ 3 and the AM2? Thank you

Reply to Access training Cardiff electrical course, is it worth doing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net