Discuss Accessability of JB's ? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

ian t

During my part P evaluation by niciec examiner, I was showing him my use of JB's. First one under the plinths in the kitchen, and second one under upstairs floor boards. (Both were marked on my installation drawings) I was informed that they were not classed as accessable? Why? I would appreciate your wisdom on the subject. Thanks in advance
Ian T

During my part P evaluation by niciec examiner, I was showing him my use of JB's. First one under the plinths in the kitchen, and second one under upstairs floor boards. (Both were marked on my installation drawings) I was informed that they were not classed as accessable? Why? I would appreciate your wisdom on the subject. Thanks in advance
Ian T

Hi Ian t
Welcome to the forum ,as this is your first post ,ill be gentle ,im glad the niceic inspector didnt pass your work ,im not sure what code it could be failed on ,but to have work inspected that includes a joint box under a kithen unit is a bit silly,
how rough can you get:confused:;)

My wisdom on the subject would be not to use them :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rumrunner, I appreciate the advice. I still do not see why using a JB under an easily removable plinth, secured off the deck, and easily accessed for testing, fault finding etc is unacceptable? Am I missing something in the regs? A spur from the back of a socket is not always the ideal solution. Are the use of JB's a 'no no'?
Thanks
Ian T

A bit of a contentious issue this, What is 'accessible' and how far does it go.

I dont see anything wrong with joint boxes, providing the joint is properly done, others disagree, but that is why its called a forum, to express diffrences of opinion.

Obviously its better if there arnt any J.B.'s, but if they were so bad,and so against the regs, why are they still on sale ?

I agree with rum on this one JB`S are for diy enthusiasts who dont know any better,what possesed you to show them to mr NIC?did you think he was going to say well done?You was asking for trouble mate,did he fail you or say you got to put it right and have a revisit at £300 ,OUCH.

You could have used an Ashley maintenance free JB, you can check them out on the hager web site.

markaj

I consider a JB as ok to use but showing them to the NIC inspector is sheer suicide. He wouldn't have had a clue they were there so why open yourself up to be shot down by him.

Difference of opinion regarding use of JB's, but a big 'no no' showing them to inspector. Point taken, but unfortunately, hiding something from an inspection doesn't bode well with me, but then I must be a 'DIY enthusiast' who doesn't know any better.

Yes, not a thing i would show, but as long as it is accessible, fixed and all cables entering are clipped right up to the point of entry then i dont see a problem.

I still use the small ones for downlights.

Dammit, i must be a diyer too.

All sorted. spoke to Nic inspector today. The outcome in brief... JB's ok for addition to circuit, but not 'favoured' with a new circuit. It makes sence when explained. However he did say "Anyone who openly says the JB is for the DIY enthusiasts, is a pompus idiot." and do you know what?... I agree.

Thanks again folks.
Ian T

I have been told i missed my calling by not joining the diplomatic service:eek: but where i come from mate you call a spade a spade ;) not allways liked for it but hey thats life:p

Reply to Accessability of JB's ? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock