Discuss Accessible or inaccessible? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Even if you knew exactly where it was, it still wouldn't be accessible.

Is it a Maintenance Free joint box or pre-existing screwed?

Thanks, Murdoch. So this practice of siting joint boxes below wooden floors is not in compliance with the Regs?

Why the question?

For me a socket behind a washing machine is inaccessible ..... But the issue is that BS 7671 does not have a definition for inaccessible ...

I was thinking of a pre-existing screwed type. It was common practice at one time to use Ashley screw down terminal joint boxes sited below floors. Do I take it that this practice does not comply?

The reason I ask is that my next door neighbour has a lighting fault whereby the line to the one-way switch is "dead". The house has fitted carpet. To find the break, it would mean lifting the carpet! This made me think of all the jobs I've done and seen done whereby joint boxes are below a marked hatch in the wooden floor which is subsequently carpeted or covered with composition flooring. An installation that starts off having joints accessible could become inaccessible by the home owner.

In a corner under a hatch.

No trickier than moving all the carp in a cupboard or attic.

Under t&g flooring nailgunned down is inaccessible.

It's one of those ask 10 sparks get 10 different answers questions. :)

Are you incapable of moving furniture? Is lifting a carpet beyond you?

:p:p

Joking aside it really does depend on where the hatch is.
Also I don't think pita to get at is the same as inaccessible.

On a personal note I only ever use MF anyway.

There is no doubt about your example INACCESSIBLE
I don't agree that there isn't doubt. Many would credibly argue that it's accessible and there is no requirement to have a welcome mat over it. Ultimately it's a matter of opinion and these will vary. I would opt for a maintenance-free joint simply to avoid these types of arguments.

I don't agree that there isn't doubt. Many would credibly argue that it's accessible and there is no requirement to have a welcome mat over it. Ultimately it's a matter of opinion and these will vary. I would opt for a maintenance-free joint simply to avoid these types of arguments.

I disagree, as described is inaccessible.

And the fault for the ambiguity can be laid at the feet of the muppets that write the regs. ......

Is this accessible?

Inaccessible.jpg

To take this picture I had to put my phone through a downlight hole!

To gain access would have been carpets and boards up, or part of the ceiling down!

yet every day we come across round brown screw terminal boxes that have been there since napoleon , and still as tight as the day they were fitted.

Yeah agree there, of the hundreds I have checked as part of other works I have probably had 2-3 that were a bit slack.

Reply to Accessible or inaccessible? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net