Discuss Accessories on skirting board in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did an EICR today, generally ok, but found a FCU on the skirting board outside the bathroom that feeds a flex outlet on the skirting board in the bathroom directly behind, for a heated towel rail. The main issue was that the FCU was screwed onto the skirting board using drywall screws and there was no back box present at all. The wiring was just inside the wall void. I corrected this by adding a fastfix box on the skirting board. Did I do the right thing, or should I have insisted on moving it up?

As long as its safe then it,s ok after all you don,t want to be seen to be creating unnecessary work,that just makes you look like a cowboy.These days honesty and fairness will take you a long way,after all you never know who,s coming in after you.well done.

There tends to be a myth flying about that accessories mounted on skirtings is not allowed and illegal. There is nothing stated in bs7671 to back this misinterpretation. The only things that needs to be taken into account are
a) Is the equipment suitable for the external conditions and influences where it is installed?
b) Is there a likelihood that the accessory will be exposed to the risk of mechanical damage i.e hoovers, furniture etc.

There tends to be a myth flying about that accessories mounted on skirtings is not allowed and illegal. There is nothing stated in bs7671 to back this misinterpretation. The only things that needs to be taken into account are
a) Is the equipment suitable for the external conditions and influences where it is installed?
b) Is there a likelihood that the accessory will be exposed to the risk of mechanical damage i.e hoovers, furniture etc.

and don't forget that there has to be no risk of appliances being plugged into a skirting socket having its lead bent in such a way as to cause damage.
(Not relevant in this case)

One has to remember that in years gone by, skirting boards could be 14'' or more high. I remember re-wiring all the socket outlets at an old friend of mines parents Victorian house, where all the socket outlets went into those massive skirting boards. They were over an inch thick too!! lol!!

Only time heights come into it is when Disability Discrimination Act rules apply then its min 450AFFL to bottom and 1200 AFFL to to top for switches, the regs do not cover this topic only Disability Discrimination Act rules apply

Only time heights come into it is when Disability Discrimination Act rules apply then its min 450AFFL to bottom and 1200 AFFL to to top for switches, the regs do not cover this topic only Disability Discrimination Act rules apply

not quite when its a new build height rules apply under part P have a look at the electricians guide to the building regs

not quite when its a new build height rules apply under part P have a look at the electricians guide to the building regs

This falls under building reg Part M, if you comply with Part P, then by default you will also comply with Part M and all the rest of them.

Cheers...........Howard

Reply to Accessories on skirting board in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net