Discuss Adaptable box with front entry. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I’m looking to fix a previous install. After having some rendering I have a feed that’s in 10mm T&E and I’m looking to replace the conduit. The gate is being replaced. I’m just looking for an adaptable box that I can have conduit come out the front.

I’ve decided to have the conduit come out from a Wiska box go down the side of the house and then across the gate with a length of conduit into another Wiska box and then another length into an Adaptable Box and go into the rear into the Garage and into the sub main board.

Any help or advice would be great.

Attachments

• Adaptable box with front entry. 563136FC-0A1A-4442-837F-44D5E6262B98 - EletriciansForums.net
    563136FC-0A1A-4442-837F-44D5E6262B98.jpeg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Adaptable box with front entry. 7CE3B77E-8B58-49B3-B9C0-23900D2BA743 - EletriciansForums.net
    7CE3B77E-8B58-49B3-B9C0-23900D2BA743.jpeg
    551.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Adaptable box with front entry. E39DBAFD-1068-4E9C-9010-8E728BB0EA78 - EletriciansForums.net
    E39DBAFD-1068-4E9C-9010-8E728BB0EA78.jpeg
    534.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Adaptable box with front entry. DFE955B3-4D4B-40C5-9245-8FC11BDA4EA1 - EletriciansForums.net
    DFE955B3-4D4B-40C5-9245-8FC11BDA4EA1.jpeg
    481.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Adaptable box with front entry. 1BFFD282-8FE8-4F8F-91BA-2147FABD2644 - EletriciansForums.net
    1BFFD282-8FE8-4F8F-91BA-2147FABD2644.jpeg
    728.4 KB · Views: 60
Are you still wanting it to cross the (new) gate at that height as that would feel suboptimal to me?
My first instinct from the photo's (tin hat on!) - have you considered running conduit down the house wall, top entry into adaptable box, swap to SWA and run that underground and maybe just cleat that the garage side?

I understand the first part but not getting an entry through an adaptable box lid.

If I fix two adaptable boxes or Wiska boxes at either ends so top of the gate. I need a way of running a straight piece of conduit across the top of the gate.

Are you still wanting it to cross the (new) gate at that height as that would feel suboptimal to me?
My first instinct from the photo's (tin hat on!) - have you considered running conduit down the house wall, top entry into adaptable box, swap to SWA and run that underground and maybe just cleat that the garage side?

It’s all decorated and the paving is all cemented in as it goes onto the house at ceiling height, into a cupboard which has the CCU in. So it would have to go across the new gate unfortunately.

Agree I wouldn't persist with the conduit. Adaptable box on the house and change to swa.

Last edited:
Not a lot you can do there by the look of it.

I'd just replace all parts. Stick a new terminal box on the house, drop a pipe down to a slip bend with a couple of saddles on the wall, pipe across the gate tie wrapped to gate to keep it straight, into another slip bend against the garage, more pipe with saddles and another terminal box.

If I absolutely couldn't go underground with SWA, then catenary wire the other side of the gate might be worth a ponder.
If I fix two adaptable boxes or Wiska boxes at either ends so top of the gate. I need a way of running a straight piece of conduit across the top of the gate.
If you stick with conduit following the route shown on the photos, I'm not following why you would choose to put them in that exact position or why they are in fact needed. Sorry if I'm missing something.

If I absolutely couldn't go underground with SWA, then catenary wire the other side of the gate might be worth a ponder.

If you stick with conduit following the route shown on the photos, I'm not following why you would choose to put them in that exact position or why they are in fact needed. Sorry if I'm missing something.

So it will follow the same route down the house but where the bend is I’m looking to replace it with a Wiska or adaptable box then go straight across. As the arch is going and a new gate in its place. There will be another box on the right, on top of the wall. Then across into the garage.

If you are planning running plastic conduit unsupported across the gateway, as it is now, then, as it does now, it will sag.

Dome covers on conduit boxes solves the original question, but not the problem.

You change it externally at an adaptable box on the wall.
That's what I had in mind, yes.
Depending on aesthetics of new gate, catenary wire would get it safely across, cleat to outside of garage, then into another box to terminate and revert to T+E.
If it were my house I'd lift the paving and get it underground and out of the way even if I needed to mix some mortar and sort out the paving afterwards.
Anyway, best of luck with it however you do it.

Reply to Adaptable box with front entry. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock