Discuss Adaptable box with front entry. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That's what I had in mind, yes.
Depending on aesthetics of new gate, catenary wire would get it safely across, cleat to outside of garage, then into another box to terminate and revert to T+E.
If it were my house I'd lift the paving and get it underground and out of the way even if I needed to mix some mortar and sort out the paving afterwards.
Anyway, best of luck with it however you do it.

I wouldn’t want to start lifting pavement. The catenary wire sounds good. Could I use conduit going across then metal cable tie it so the conduit is supported?

As the underground option has been knocked back I think I would just drop a unistrut across the gap to the gate post / garage buttress and stick an swa in, it would certainly look a lot neater

That’s a good idea. How can I change it from 10mm T&E to SWA. I can’t remove the T&E?

I agree unistrut across to the garage behind where the new gate is going totaly separate from it then it will not need disturbing next time the gate needs changing.
I would go swa out of an adaptable box house side and back into another the garage side unless I could go straight into the sub con unit!
You could even make an upstand from the strut if you needed more height and bolt it to the garage wall.
Sy

I agree unistrut across to the garage behind where the new gate is going totaly separate from it then it will not need disturbing next time the gate needs changing.
I would go swa out of an adaptable box house side and back into another the garage side unless I could go straight into the sub con unit!
You could even make an upstand from the strut if you needed more height and bolt it to the garage wall.
Sy

That sounds okay I will have a look at that.
Gland the SWA to adaptable box, and use terminal block / crimps inside the adaptable box to join each conductor to the T&E.
You need the armour of the SWA earthed.

Okay could I use an alternative to SWA as I’ve not used it before.

Where the cables comes out of the house fit a circular stop end, conduit down to a Wiska box, a length of white flexible conduit fixed across the top of the gate and in to a Wiska box other end and drill back entry in to garage.

Then use catenary wire to support the flexible conduit?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be putting conduit or anything back across the gate personally! There are better options, if using plastic conduit even across that short span I would want it on something solid to support it.

Okay could I use an alternative to SWA as I’ve not used it before.
Would something like NYY be any better?
NYY would be ok but can you get it in 10mm? It might not need to be 10mm of course depending on the upstream breaker size etc.
I do remember being terrified the first time I had to use SWA. It honestly isn't too bad and you'll have to bite the bullet one day ;-)
Have a gander at this -

The gate in the link has no top support so you are going to have to support it somehow, yes galv conduit would prevent the sagging.
You will probably need 25mm for 10mm cables which will be sporting to work with especially any bends to the boxes!?

That’s a good idea. How can I change it from 10mm T&E to SWA. I can’t remove the T&E?
Without a crystal ball or knowing the layout beyond the the pictures you have posted and how far the existing cable runs inside the buildings it is difficult to advise it may be possible to get swa to the connection points to avoid joints, with experience and the right tools sometimes the impossible is possible
Sy
The upstand was one of my thoughts when I suggested unistrut my other thought was to run the unistrut at an angle from where it exits the house down to the garage
What if I use Galvanised Steel Conduit instead? That would eliminate the sagging issues?

Can you spray it white?
Unless you have access to a vice and bender I wouldn't bother with galv conduit with regard to painting it I would give the joints a coat of Galvafroid paint and then paint it with a couple of coats of Hammerite

Reply to Adaptable box with front entry. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock