Discuss Add batteries to inc. BackUp on new On-Grid Solar, non-hybrid inverter, can it be done? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bignose2

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
Recently had 3.6kw solar installed, at the time shortage of batteries & roi figured batteries not quite worth it.
thinking otherwise perhaps now with such big increases coming but mostly would really like battery backup.
Reading conflicting info.
from what I understand a A/C battery system would be best as already have a plain inverter so might as well add another for the battery instead of changing to a hybrid.
Can this be done with minimal expense as a backup?
I know has to have a fail safe so as not to power the grid if a power cut.
I was wondering if the inverter can detect mains-in and isolate itself & only when you turn off the mains-in breaker in the CU will it then allow power from the battery & the solar tops up the battery I hope.
Don't need auto switch over.
I guess draw from the house could be an issue so have to make sure not to use power hungry devices.
Just would like lights & internet etc. to continue to work
I have small UPS for some devices but just last minutes & seems like a good idea & also be able to store excess kw generated.

My supplier does not offer FiT or whatever the new one is called (not smart ready!!) so they get my kw for free, even with a feeble 5p per kw better than nothing.

Thanks I/A

Hi,
Recently had 3.6kw solar installed, at the time shortage of batteries & roi figured batteries not quite worth it.
thinking otherwise perhaps now with such big increases coming but mostly would really like battery backup.
Reading conflicting info.
from what I understand a A/C battery system would be best as already have a plain inverter so might as well add another for the battery instead of changing to a hybrid.
Can this be done with minimal expense as a backup?
I know has to have a fail safe so as not to power the grid if a power cut.
I was wondering if the inverter can detect mains-in and isolate itself & only when you turn off the mains-in breaker in the CU will it then allow power from the battery & the solar tops up the battery I hope.
Don't need auto switch over.
I guess draw from the house could be an issue so have to make sure not to use power hungry devices.
Just would like lights & internet etc. to continue to work
I have small UPS for some devices but just last minutes & seems like a good idea & also be able to store excess kw generated.

My supplier does not offer FiT or whatever the new one is called (not smart ready!!) so they get my kw for free, even with a feeble 5p per kw better than nothing.

Thanks I/A
Have a look at Alpha ESS in particualr Smile B3 Plus, a 5kwh hour system with inverter built in costs around £2.5k. you can add another 5kwh battery for around £1750.00, you will have other costs on tp of this of course such as isolators, critical / back up consumer unit and other materials. not forgetting labour but its a very well priced system.

Yes, it can be done! Adding batteries to your Inc. Backup on new On-Grid Solar, the non-hybrid inverter will act as a backup for the unit in case of an outage or power loss. Connect the battery pack to an available electrical outlet, and you will have peace of mind knowing that your belongings are safe and secure during emergencies.

I'm thinking of similar but looking for something much cheaper. During a power-cut I'd like to have my solar panels and their inverter work to power the house at least during the middle of the day to especially power the freezer and fridge for a few hours, and maybe power the immersion heater. Could I disconnect from mains at CU, then in the middle of the day power the house from a small (and cheap) 12V to mains inverter from the car battery, enabling the solar panels and theri inverter to kick in and power the house?

Reply to Add batteries to inc. BackUp on new On-Grid Solar, non-hybrid inverter, can it be done? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net