Discuss Add Second EmerGen Switch to Subpanel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

EJH888

DIY
Reaction score
I have an existing EmerGen Switch installed in my main panel that links to 10 breakers. The main panel is located in the basement.

I recently upgraded my generator and now want to power additional breakers that exist in a sub panel which is located in the garage.

I purchased a second EmerGenSwitch in hopes of hopes of powering additional breakers in the garage from the same generator. Both EmerGen switches use the common neutral and ground. Per code the main panel is bonded and the sub panel is not.

My question is in regard to running generator power to both EmerGen Switches.

the main panel is connected to the sub panel by 2 x 50amp breakers (100 amp sub panel).

My thought was to splice the inbound lead from teh generator and run to both GenSwitches And wire teh gen switches into the proper breakers.

Are there any concerns with wiring the generator to both EmerGen Switches using a splice in the Inbound generator line?

I have an existing EmerGen Switch installed in my main panel that links to 10 breakers. The main panel is located in the basement.

I recently upgraded my generator and now want to power additional breakers that exist in a sub panel which is located in the garage.

I purchased a second EmerGenSwitch in hopes of hopes of powering additional breakers in the garage from the same generator. Both EmerGen switches use the common neutral and ground. Per code the main panel is bonded and the sub panel is not.

My question is in regard to running generator power to both EmerGen Switches.

the main panel is connected to the sub panel by 2 x 50amp breakers (100 amp sub panel).

My thought was to splice the inbound lead from teh generator and run to both GenSwitches And wire teh gen switches into the proper breakers.

Are there any concerns with wiring the generator to both EmerGen Switches using a splice in the Inbound generator line?
What do you mean when you say your 100 amp sub panel is being fed by two 50 amp breakers. Since it says that you are a DIY then the only thing that I can say is that is a clear violation of the code book.

What do you mean when you say your 100 amp sub panel is being fed by two 50 amp breakers. Since it says that you are a DIY then the only thing that I can say is that is a clear violation of the code book.
The main and sub panel were installed by an electrician (not me). The main panel is 400 amp. the main panel has two 50 amp breakers that feed a 100amp sub panel. The wires appear to be 4 guage running from the main to the sub. The main panel is in the basement. The sub panel is in the garage. The main panel is bonded. The sub panel is not.

Reply to Add Second EmerGen Switch to Subpanel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net