Discuss Adding 5 double plug sockets to garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think I would be considering a hardwired UPS in the 3000va range.
it should have plenty of outputs to power your servers and will save you hours of fun the first time you have a 5 second power cut.
I've thought about a UPS before.
Luckily we don't have very many power outages but it's on my list of things to get!

If you are getting paid for renting out the services, you don’t want to disappoint your users.
have the computers on their own ring, or if possible, a circuit each. Individual rcbo. That minimises any disruption from a fault in the rest of the house disconnecting the computers.

If not bitcoin mining, then good old fashioned pirate dvd copying? (Showing my age!)

I'd have thought a UPS would be essential if you are providing paid-for processing power. Do you not have anything in your contracts about availability/redundancy etc?

I'd have thought a UPS would be essential if you are providing paid-for processing power. Do you not have anything in your contracts about availability/redundancy etc?
his customers get a discount for bringing their own hammer.

I've thought about a UPS before.
Luckily we don't have very many power outages but it's on my list of things to get!
If this is going to be worth any significant money to you then you might be wise to think about a new CU so you have both surge protection at the supply point (normally part of any new install now) and all circuits on RCBOs so less chance of faults on one circuit taking out the others.

UPS are a rather "mixed blessing" in my experience, as often the one time you need them to function they let you down :(

If you have surge protection and dual-PSU servers then you can save a little by running one PSU off the UPS and the other direct off the mains. You still need to size the UPS for full load, but should it go bang on a self-test (as we have seen with some APC models) then you keep going on the direct path.

I'll take the 5th...
5th copy or 5th amendment. ? yanks always in front, BS7671 never has more tha 3 amendments. it's them pigeon heads at IET, can't count past their toes.

I'm a trainee in my first year and I can see the best way to do this as the CU is already in the garage would be to stick another ring final on. The maximum power for a pc is going to be 250w. You can run 10 of those and several desk lamps and printers without issue.

I'm a trainee in my first year and I can see the best way to do this as the CU is already in the garage would be to stick another ring final on. The maximum power for a pc is going to be 250w. You can run 10 of those and several desk lamps and printers without issue.
It’s not just power you need to think about.

10 pcs, plus 10 monitors, plus a printer, power supplies for peripherals etc all have an inherent earth leakage. Nothing serious on its own, but can soon add up to the 30mA rcd. Considering most trip at about 20mA

10 IT appliances on a RCD protected circuit is considered to be the limit to prevent nuisance tripping

It’s not just power you need to think about.

10 pcs, plus 10 monitors, plus a printer, power supplies for peripherals etc all have an inherent earth leakage. Nothing serious on its own, but can soon add up to the 30mA rcd. Considering most trip at about 20mA
Why would you need an rcd? Surely he has a main rcd already as part of the CU. Why not just have a type b MCB? As you would A regular ring.

Reply to Adding 5 double plug sockets to garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net