Discuss Adding a 16 amp socket to ring main in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hopealex

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have just bought a hot tub that plugs in to a 16 amp, 3 pin socket. I have an outdoor supply that was fitted on my house (professionally fitted on a new build property. It runs of a 32 amp breaker on the ring main.

The supply does not have a socket, just a blank face plate.

Question is: can I simply install a 16 amp socket to it and away we go??? Or do I need some sort of additional feed.

Thanks in advance.

what pete says.... separate dedicated radial on a 16A or 20A breaker. local isolation is provided simply by unplugging from the 16A socket.

I have an outdoor supply that was fitted on my house (professionally fitted on a new build property. It runs of a 32 amp breaker on the ring main.

The supply does not have a socket, just a blank face plate.

What exactly do you mean by this as it is not clear. Saying that you have a 32A breaker on the ring main implies that there is a 32A breaker installed in the middle of a socket circuit,which is obviously not the case.

Do you have a connection point on a ring circuit (general purpose socket circuit serving multiple rooms)?
Or do you have a dedicated 32A circuit which has been installed for 'future use'?

What exactly do you mean by this as it is not clear. Saying that you have a 32A breaker on the ring main implies that there is a 32A breaker installed in the middle of a socket circuit,which is obviously not the case.

Do you have a connection point on a ring circuit (general purpose socket circuit serving multiple rooms)?
Or do you have a dedicated 32A circuit which has been installed for 'future use'?
I think the OP means that there is an outside point this just terminated in a suitable IP BOX for future use, that's how I read it anyway.

Sorry for the confusion, my terminology is off.

The outdoor socket is on the same 32A ring circuit as the downstairs sockets for the house, feeding multiple sockets. It does not have a dedicated circuit.

Thanks.

What is the load of the hot tub?

Equipment over 2kw is recommended to have it's own supply.

Edit:as not to over load the ring final circuit that is, primarily aimed at cooking appliances but can be applied to other appliances

Last edited:
What is the load of the hot tub?

Equipment over 2kw is recommended to have it's own supply.

Edit:as not to over load the ring final circuit that is, primarily aimed at cooking appliances but can be applied to other appliances

Thanks, it's just been delivered so I will check tomorrow. So if it's less then i am good to fit the 16amp socket to the current outlet?

Thanks, it's just been delivered so I will check tomorrow. So if it's less then i am good to fit the 16amp socket to the current outlet?
No 16A sockets are not suitable for direct connection to a 32A ring final circuit. It requires maximum circuit protection of 20A but for a single socket 16A protection is the sensible option.

Reply to Adding a 16 amp socket to ring main in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net