Discuss Adding a dimmer switch to in wall timer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jumper10

DIY
Reaction score
I put in led high hats in my soffit outside. They are operated by a timer switch. The problem is the lights are too bright. I want to add a dimmer switch to tone down the brightness. I tried to do it myself by adding a dimmer switch in between timer and lights. I tried all combinations possible and can’t seem to figure out how to get the dimmer to work. Any suggestions??

have you got the correct dimmer for LEDs? post a pick of the dimmer reverse side with cables connected (isolate circuit first.

have you got the correct dimmer for LEDs? post a pick of the dimmer reverse side with cables connected (isolate circuit first.

I thought I bought the right dimmer. The back has two gold screws no black.

Adding a dimmer switch to in wall timer 90623C2C-5234-4AD8-9F57-CB9CDA11E73F - EletriciansForums.net Adding a dimmer switch to in wall timer 7D4EFEEE-559A-4ECA-893F-BA5177499061 - EletriciansForums.net Adding a dimmer switch to in wall timer A28178AB-71C8-4BF1-8439-3E3D0411361D - EletriciansForums.net

that dimmer is for incandescent or halogen lamps. it will not work correctly with LEDs.

that dimmer is for incandescent or halogen lamps. it will not work correctly with LEDs.
I see that now reading the cover ??‍♂️. As far as wiring it with the correct dimmer, would bypassing the dimmer with the common wire and connecting the hot to dimmer work or do I need to add another hot wire out of the timer? Thanks for all your help!
[automerge]1570544682[/automerge]
Adding this dimmer switch red, black, red (white stripe 3 way) green. As far as connecting them, I have black white and cooper coming from timer and need to add black white cooper coming from the lights. Any suggestions on what to connect what to?

Attachments

• Adding a dimmer switch to in wall timer 6E365D37-D0A2-4150-8D0B-C42840B2A938 - EletriciansForums.net
    6E365D37-D0A2-4150-8D0B-C42840B2A938.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
it should work as your diagram. LED dimmers are generally what we call trailing edge, you want one with a min load < the total load of you LEDs and a max load > than that. e.g. dimmer will be stamped min. 20 watts, max. 60 watts. so the LED total load would be between 20 and 60 watts.

Reply to Adding a dimmer switch to in wall timer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock