Discuss Adding a double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.
I want to add a double socket, the closest one is on opposite wall.
So instead of using 2.5 T&E and then pvc trunking, can I use 2.5mm white flex?
Only asking as flex would look a little neater clipped around the bottom of the skirting.

Weren't sure what if coming from.one socket to.another in flex would be an issue ?

Thanks!

you can use flex, but may need to fit ferrules for the terminations, as fine stranded flex is not suitable for clamping under a screw.

The first thing that needs to be established is what kind of circuit the existing socket is. If it is a spur off of a RFC, or not protected by a 30mA RCD, then you can not simply extend it in the way you describe.

That part's OK, then.
One small point is you're not supposed to connect flexibles and solid core conductors in the same terminal, so you may need ferrules on the flex at the existing socket end.

That part's OK, then.
One small point is you're not supposed to connect flexibles and solid core conductors in the same terminal, so you may need ferrules on the flex at the existing socket end.
and the other end unless the socket has cage type terminals.

Just for info as I looked this up the other day:

526.9.1 states "in order to avoid inappropriate seperation or spreading of individual wires of multi wire, fine wire or very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends should be suitably treated."
526.9.2 states "soldering (tinning) of the whole conductor end of multi wire, fine wire and very fine wire conductors is not permitted if screw terminals are used. "

Reply to Adding a double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Essentially I have a "normal" socket in a ring mains, i.e. one 2.5mm T&E going in and one 2.5mm T&E going out. I am looking to simply add two more...
Replies
Views
Grateful if someone could offer some advise, I'm struggling to find a definitive answer to this. I have a double socket, it was on the ring main...
Replies
Views
Hi, i live in a new build house where they builders have left a junction box on the outside of my house. In the junction box there is a 6mm twin...
Replies
Views
Ok i may get slated for this one but here goes; A bit of background info first. Its been a while since ive looked at my iee regs, and ive not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Was wondering if you could help please. I'm looking to fit a BG IP66 external socket mainly for occasional jet wash/vacuum usage and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock