Discuss Adding a new light with a switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I’m looking to add a new light and with a switch to a old property with older wiring techniques I have not come across.

From looking the cables are going to the switch first rather than the light . Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• Adding a new light with a switch FA5C9587-98E9-4C7D-920B-1FAB9C0FAFBC - EletriciansForums.net
    FA5C9587-98E9-4C7D-920B-1FAB9C0FAFBC.jpeg
    520.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Adding a new light with a switch 0757D7C8-B0AE-4DB8-9EE3-A3A9AE449CFB - EletriciansForums.net
    0757D7C8-B0AE-4DB8-9EE3-A3A9AE449CFB.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Adding a new light with a switch 9FD9C575-54A3-401A-83D0-2410E3A1AC55 - EletriciansForums.net
    9FD9C575-54A3-401A-83D0-2410E3A1AC55.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Adding a new light with a switch BD421C8F-79F7-4D4D-8F7B-1B6A0A05CE03 - EletriciansForums.net
    BD421C8F-79F7-4D4D-8F7B-1B6A0A05CE03.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Adding a new light with a switch 0FD6629B-F1A1-410D-984B-5914C5ED316D - EletriciansForums.net
    0FD6629B-F1A1-410D-984B-5914C5ED316D.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 38
Same question last month.
Same photos

All you need is a T&E from the switch, up to the new light position. Youve got the neutral there. Also, any new work needs to be protected by RCD.

Advise you get an electrician though... as the old cables may not be in great condition to be working on.

Same question last month.
Same photos

All you need is a T&E from the switch, up to the new light position. Youve got the neutral there. Also, any new work needs to be protected by RCD.

Advise you get an electrician though... as the old cables may not be in great condition to be working on.
Ok thanks for reply.so a twin and earth from the switch to the new light but I want the new light with its own switch . So a cable from the the new light to the new switch?

Forget adding a light for the moment, you need to get that installation checked out by a decent electrician as you have some problems there.

They are there, you can make out the solid green sleeving shoved into the wall cavity and bodged tigether in a connector block.
yes. i see it now.

Not on the 3 core though.

Anyway... As youve got a Live, Neutral and Earth at this switch... you can either take a T&E to another switch, then up to the light.... or to the light first, then down to the switch.

There's earths there, what's missing is a back-box for the switch!
There's only just about a wall there to add a box to....!
I think the first task there is cutting back the plaster and laths back to the next stud, fitting a noggin to sit a box on, adding some new laths, and having some fun with plaster....

Reply to Adding a new light with a switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock