Discuss adding a pull switch to wall lights in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jbooth

i have bought some wall lights that dont have a internal pull cord on them, as the lights are currently wired from the ceiling rose with a live feed coming in.

what i want to do is i have bought a mini pull switch 2a from tlc, and drill a small hole to fix it to the light fitting base,

I would normally just wire the live neutral and earth into the choc block on the new light fitting but how do i incorporate the new switch into the equation.

thanks

feed the switch , then light of the switch, maybe im completely wrong,, wait see the pro's fews, they will say just pay a spark £50 get it done correctly if your not sure, but you will learn

thanks steve, just to confirm i would put live coming in straight to the switch then a pigtail back to choc block and into the live, then put the neutral and earth in the choc block on the fitting

The only thing i can get my head around is the feed coming in is from the ceiling rose is 240, if i divide that by 120watts,the bulbs in the new lamps, that gives me 0,5 amps so a 2 amp switch would be ok, is this correct, only reason is a normal wall light switch is 10amp whats the reason for that.

thanks

Economies of scale. It's more cost effective to produce a light switch of "one size fits all applications" rating than it is to have to produce many different versions. For reasons of tooling, stockholding etc.
That same light switch that switches an 8W low-energy lamp in your living room may be switching a whole row of fluorescents in an office etc.
What does more, does less.

You are correct in your calculations.

The terminal screws on those switches protrude slightly from the ends of the switch body and you'd need to think about clearances and/or extra insulation depending on how it will fit in the wall light.

Some may question whether a 2A switch is OK, as you likely have a 6A breaker... but you can't really overload it. Even if you managed to find and fit two 150W lamps to the wall light!

Simon.

thanks steve, just to confirm i would put live coming in straight to the switch then a pigtail back to choc block and into the live, then put the neutral and earth in the choc block on the fitting

The only thing i can get my head around is the feed coming in is from the ceiling rose is 240, if i divide that by 120watts,the bulbs in the new lamps, that gives me 0,5 amps so a 2 amp switch would be ok, is this correct, only reason is a normal wall light switch is 10amp whats the reason for that.

thanks

Yes...as he said.lol

Reply to adding a pull switch to wall lights in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net