Discuss Adding a relay to the timer on my submersible 1/2hp 230v pump. It was recommended by the timer manufacturer. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Buzzfeed

DIY
Reaction score
Looking for advice to add a relay to a well pump timer. 1/2 hp 230v submersible @750’. The timer is rated at 10amp.
[automerge]1578238119[/automerge]
Does anyone have any recomendations?

Looking for advice to add a relay to a well pump timer. 1/2 hp 230v submersible @750’. The timer is rated at 10amp.
[automerge]1578238119[/automerge]
Does anyone have any recomendations?
Pardon the blunt reply What purpose do you need the relay for???

Manufacturer of the switch says that it is suitably rated however recommended a relay in between switch and pump
When you say "buffer" what exactly do you mean? reduce voltage current or what exactly?
[automerge]1578238863[/automerge]
Speak to Megawatt, via PM he is a fellow countryman, and a Master as well may be able to help you. he lives out in the sticks as well, so should be used to modifying stuff, never know until you ask

Last edited:
In the USA the UL-approved ratings for relays and relay-controlled outputs have both current and motor hp given for any unit, similar in intent to our resistive and inductive ratings. Although the 1/2 hp motor uses less than 10A, the fact that there's no motor rating shown, and the manufacturer suggests a relay, implies that the 10A is indeed for resistive loads only and the timer output relay might have a short life switching the motor load.

I'm not quite sure what the original question was: Any electrical control gear seller will have suitable contactors and enclosures; I don't know that there's any point in recommending a specific product.

In the USA the UL-approved ratings for relays and relay-controlled outputs have both current and motor hp given for any unit, similar in intent to our resistive and inductive ratings. Although the 1/2 hp motor uses less than 10A, the fact that there's no motor rating shown, and the manufacturer suggests a relay, implies that the 10A is indeed for resistive loads only and the timer output relay might have a short life switching the motor load.

I'm not quite sure what the original question was: Any electrical control gear seller will have suitable contactors and enclosures; I don't know that there's any point in recommending a specific product.
I have to agree with Buzz what will be the purpose of adding a relay to a timer since the timer starts and stops the motor
[automerge]1578261213[/automerge]
I have to agree with Buzz what will be the purpose of adding a relay to a timer since the timer starts and stops the motor

Sorry Pete999 I agree with you on the actual purpose of the relay. Got ahead of myself my friend.
[automerge]1578261254[/automerge]

Sorry Pete999 I agree with you on the actual purpose of the relay. Got ahead of myself my friend.

The timer will switch a suitable contactor/relay to control the pump. The 10A rating is likely to be a resistive rating and not inductive which would be much lower.

My guess is that he is having trouble with the current ratings of readily available timers,
And wants to use the timer to control a relay and the relay switchs the pump motor.
You can get heavy duty timers for just such functions,
Or if he rally wants to use a relay than I would go the whole hog and use a nice chunky contactor.

Reply to Adding a relay to the timer on my submersible 1/2hp 230v pump. It was recommended by the timer manufacturer. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock