Discuss Adding a second 4kWp+ array - questions in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

FB.

I already have 3.75kWp (45.4p FiT).

I am giving thought to adding a second array (subject to how the panels could be fitted into the available space to my liking) before the changes to FiT's in August.

An identical property to mine, but without PV, had a recent EPC of E (only acouple of points short of D). With my PV already installed, I have no doubts about achieving EPC of D or better (someone I know jumped from mid-E to mid-C after fitting 4kWp recently).

However, I have a few queries:

Would there be time to get DNO approval to add a second array at the same address, with everything being completed before the end of July? My supply is single-phase - is it likely to be a non-starter (even though my combined appliances could, in theory, be drawing over 10kW into the house)?

Are panels on vertical walls allowed/permitted? (I appreciate there's animpairment to their annual yield, but........if the sums add up.......).
The area I have available is a South-facing wall (a large house wall; about32ft wide, 16-28ft high depending on which height I measure, with only two small windows of 2-3ft size), with no significant issues of shading (except,perhaps, in mid-winter due to very low sun - nearest house is about 50ft away).

I was wondering about the possibility of using mounting frames to change to a more favourable tilt. Are such mountings available at sensible prices, or would this make a significant difference to cost?

What's the availability of 200W panels (about 1.7x0.8m in size)? (smallerpanels could work around the windows more easily than bigger panels, and can betilted on smaller frames).
Alternatively, what's available with black frames in the 250W range (about1.7x1.0m in size)?

Thanks,
F

Have you considered a ground mount angle of 25 degrees would improve returns from 90 degrees !

FB, if you wall or ground mount you will also need planning, as in most cases it would not come under your permitted development rights.

There are many different ways that panels could be mounted though, but as you are aware you will have to get a wriggle on, also the FIT after August is much the same with the increase in export, it is just the term is 20 years instead of 25.

I hope this helps.

Thanks guys.

Ground mounts are not an option as the ground below the wall is driveway-type access to my garage.

A pergola-style lean-to is possible over the driveway and I had given thought to it.
The size could be up to about 20 x 35ft, which could hold several kWp, taking my TIC up to 10kW for both systems combined.

However, a lean-to has a few issues:

The Mrs isn't keen on the idea. Never a good start. I might be able to talk her round.

If the lean-to/pergola is angled, the angle of the slope will be visible as people approach the house, possibly detracting from the appearance, which will not please the Mrs. Wall-mounted panels would not be visible.

If the lean-to/pergola structure has a flat top, the panels will accumulate a lot of dust which won't wash off, and I fear that repeated scrubbing/brushing will eventually wear off the anti-reflective and hydrophobic coatings (also tending to accumulate snow in winter).

It might encourage the neighbour's teenage kids to climb on it.

Can you please explain ALL the abbreviations?

Er........yes. I wonder how you found your way to this topic without some knowledge of solar. :confused5:

FiT = Feed-in-Tariff
PV = Photo Voltaic Solar
EPC = Energy Performance Certificate
DNO = District (power) Network Operator
kW = Kilo Watt
kWp = KiloWatts Peak (output)
200W = 200Watt panel
250W = 250Watt panel

I tried to take a picture, but the morning sun is shining straight into the camera.

But I have the following picture of the driveway which is just about adequate to give an idea; the wall I mentioned earlier is the one on the left edge of the picture.
The nearest house is the one at the rear right of the picture.
The driveway is about 20ft wide and 35ft long.
The low wall projecting out from the garage is 13.5ft long.

It is very visible from the front of the property (although the property sits in a cul-de-sac), so any solar-carrying structure would have to be very sympathetically done so as not to unnecessarily put off too many potential buyers if, one day, I want to move to the coast for my retirement.
......and it would have to get past the Mrs. :45:

Adding a second 4kWp+ array - questions {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I am very pro PV (obviously) I also take aesthetics into consideration, and from what I can see here, in my opinion for what it is worth, I feel it would detract from the look of your property.

If you want to invest some more, then find a friend or relation and set up a rent a roof system, I accept the returns will not be quite as good, but you may well help someone out and not devalue your own property.

Just a thought.

Reply to Adding a second 4kWp+ array - questions in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock