Discuss Adding a socket to a garage circuit. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

voltemort

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got a garage with a circuit that looks like this:

current.png

I believe it's a radial circuit coming out of the MCB with a current rating of 20A. It goes in to a switch containing a 5A fuse (fused spur?). It then has two wires coming from it: one for a bulb, and the other for a socket.

I would like to add another socket in the garage. I'm thinking the simplest way would be to add a junction box before the current socket, and add the new socket from this junction box:

proposed.png

Would this be the best way to do it?

The wiring seems a bit odd with having the bulb wired in to a switch, but then having the garage door connected using the socket. So any advice in general for tidying up the current circuit would be appreciated.

I have some experience with DIY wiring, but I'm not a professional.

Seems quite normal if I read it right.

20A feeds the spur, and the live supply continues to the socket. The light comes off the load side of the spur.

You can branch off a radial circuit anywhere… so whatever is easy between a joint box or coming from the back of the socket.

Hi everyone,

I've got a garage with a circuit that looks like this:

View attachment 106658

I believe it's a radial circuit coming out of the MCB with a current rating of 20A. It goes in to a switch containing a 5A fuse (fused spur?). It then has two wires coming from it: one for a bulb, and the other for a socket.

I would like to add another socket in the garage. I'm thinking the simplest way would be to add a junction box before the current socket, and add the new socket from this junction box:

View attachment 106659

Would this be the best way to do it?

The wiring seems a bit odd with having the bulb wired in to a switch, but then having the garage door connected using the socket. So any advice in general for tidying up the current circuit would be appreciated.

I have some experience with DIY wiring, but I'm not a professional.

If the sockets are surface mounted, then I would avoid using a junction box and join at the socket if possible.

I'm looking recreate a similar setup as shown in this picture:

piping-small.jpg

I'd like to get these three things:

1. The tubing/piping/protector for the wiring.
2. The clips holding the pipe to the wall.
3. The connector connecting the pipe to the top of the socket.

I don't know what I'm searching for to find these three things.

Does anyone know what their correct names are and where I can buy them from?

I'm from the UK.

Screwfix was my friend. I believe these are the terms I was looking for:

1. Conduit Tube
2. Spacer Bar Saddles
3. Conduit Adaptor (not sure whether male or female is what I need though)

3. Conduit Adaptor (not sure whether male or female is what I need though)
The one in your pic is female, but they are usually interchangeable.
The female version protrudes less into the box than the male, and provides a nice rounded edge for the cables. The male would be used if you were going into a fitting with a 20mm female thread, rather than just a 20mm hole.

For item 2, we professionals have been tasked with using metal saddles in case of premature collapse during a fire.

Firefighters can get tangled in copper cables once all the insulation, plastic pipe and saddles have melted away.

Reply to Adding a socket to a garage circuit. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net