Discuss Adding a 'spur' to a ring circuit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Billio

-
Reaction score
Hello All
Possibly a silly question - can I add a 'spur' to a ring circuit at it's MCB in the CU, rather than cutting into the ring itself? I want to do this to add a power line adaptor to extend wifi coverage.
Many thanks.

Billio

not a problem. as long as it's done correctly. N to the correct N bar and E to the correct E bar. care taken to ensure the 3 connections in the MCB are sound.

not a problem. as long as it's done correctly. N to the correct N bar and E to the correct E bar. care taken to ensure the 3 connections in the MCB are sound.
Great, thanks for that. I thought I could do it but got different opinions - I think they were winding me up.
Billio

Great, thanks for that. I thought I could do it but got different opinions - I think they were winding me up.
Billio
As Tel says, not a problem, it is a spur at the origin.

But you will sometimes come across electricians who seem to think this is wrong, maybe that you are connecting two circuits to one MCB or something.

No problem with this , you could also extend the ring at the consumer unit Using wagos if you need more than one new point...

No problem with this , you could also extend the ring at the consumer unit Using wagos if you need more than one new point...
Thanks for your advice - I thought I'd make it neater by simply adding new 2.5T&E rather than Wagos, but then again, Wagos might be even easier?
[automerge]1590305289[/automerge]
What is the value of the MCB? If it’s 32A, you’ll need to use 2.5mm T&E for your spur.
Thanks for your reply, it is a 32A MCB and I'll use 2.5T&E.

I don’t see any qualifications on your profile page. Are you an electrician or DIYer?

Just wanted to add that taking off the CU cover exposes live parts. Turn off at the mainswitch or isolator if you have one.
An extra socket should be RCD protected

Reply to Adding a 'spur' to a ring circuit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock