Discuss Adding an earth to a pair of light switches in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alan.surry

I'm preparing for a new kitchen and have a 2way lighting circuit that has no earth (The previous owner had disabled one switch by mistakenly using the common as an earth, which has no return to the consumer unit).

My question is: Can I install chrome switch plates if I bridge earth cables to each of the switches from a sockets that are close to the light switches? I can't see any logical reason why this should cause any problems, but I'm keen to make sure that there are no glitches when it comes to getting it tested. I have 2330 pt3 17th edition, but no part P, so I'm doing the work & getting it tested by a friend who has Part P.

Regards,

Alan.

In practice it would work,but the circuit should have its own cpc
For that reason it would not be a good idea Alterations in the future could see the earth continuity disappear
It would be better to not use chrome switches or get the earth connection at the board also the regulations people could be reading this :)

Thanks for the replies. There is a CPC, just nothing down to the switches other than the switch live. I was hoping for a solution that doesn't involve pulling out all the exisiting wiring as the walls & coving are in good shape, but if it means we don't end up with plastic switches i suppose I'd better get busy with the chisel!

Regards,

Al.

Reply to Adding an earth to a pair of light switches in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone I've moved into a flat and I've decided to replace the original electric switches and sockets with white ones. I've done them all...
Replies
Views
I'm getting an old fuse board upgraded in an office block. The electrician has just told me that most of the circuits don't have earth cables...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm replacing standard light switches in my hall and landing with touch switches (not smart, just touch on/off) like these from Amazon...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, after temporary removing a Sonoff that I've installed years ago to do some painting, I'm unable to get everything back to work. I've...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone :) my first post here. Quick background I'm a newly qualified installer of somewhat advanced years whose just starting out in the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock