Discuss adding and emergency light and test switch to exsisting lighting circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

f947

hi,

To explain my background i am predominately a fire alarm engineer and have recently been promoted to the installations department. i have done my 17th edition, level 2 and 3 in elec installation at college on an evening course. i mainly do fire and warden call installations in my new job but have recently been given some jobs to install some el's into plant rooms etc. i've been sent out the nm el's and double pole test switches. my question is, is it as easy as just taking the live and neutral off an existing light in the room, through the switch to the nm el? also ive been told i only need to do a loop test on the circuit not insulation resistance etc? someone else will be sent to sign off the niceic cert.

just feeling a bit apprehensive on the rules and regs, its one thing doing things at college then being sent out to do the real thing on your own. i think i just need a bit of confidence!

thanks in advance :)

You need to take a permanent feed to the em lights via the test switch, so don't forget to check the lights in the areas you,are feeding them aren't also switched via a "last man switch" or similar.

As for certification as you are connecting to a existing circuit then you need to fill out a MWC as based on the models in Appendix 6 of the BGB

Reply to adding and emergency light and test switch to exsisting lighting circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock