Discuss Adding AUX lights (with switch button) to existing Fuse Block/Relay system - do I need another relay for the AUX lights? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N-5Gunner

DIY
Reaction score
Howdy folks. Complete electrical numpty back again with another basic question with a basic answer that I can't find an answer to elsewhere online.

I am setting up an auxiliary fuse block/relay set up on my motorcycle. I have attached a photo of what my basic fuse block/relay system will be like, with the relay being "triggered" and providing power to the fuse block by tapping into the tail light on my motorcycle, which is a "switched" power source that only comes on when the bike is on. I am going to be adding a set of Auxiliary lights to this system.

I would like the auxiliary lights to function like this: 1) they will be turned on/off via a physical button switch mounted on my handlebars, 2) that physical switch will only work and turn the lights on when the bike is on, 3) they are not operated or linked to any other lights button/function (e.g. I know some people hook their auxiliary lights up to the headlights, so when they turn their high beams on, the auxiliary lights come on too - I don't want this).

My question: everyone obviously recommends using a relay for auxiliary lights. However, with me already having my auxiliary fuse block/box set up with a relay, with any of my accessories that are hooked up to it only getting power when the bike/ignition is on, do I need to use another relay just for the auxiliary lights? Or can I simply connect the switch and lights to the fuse box, and that's it.

My additional question/request because I'm useless: And no matter the answer to the question above, whatever the best way to achieve the system I am after, can you provide specific information on where I connect each wire coming from the auxiliary light button/switch and the lights? I think the button will simply have a positive/negative cable coming from it, and perhaps the same from each light. Do I splice all of the positives together and connect that to one of the positive accessory terminals on the fuse box, and the same for the negative wires?

Hope that all makes sense, and I appreciate in advance any help provided!

TL;DR
Do I need another relay for AUX lights when I already have an auxiliary fuse block that only gets power when the ignition is on (via a relay)?

Attachments

• IMG_6310.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 1

Reply to Adding AUX lights (with switch button) to existing Fuse Block/Relay system - do I need another relay for the AUX lights? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net