Discuss Adding electricity to a garage from a main consumer unit in the house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello

Im looking at adding electricity to my garage. The armoured cable is already in place but its just connected to a 16amp Circuit breaker in the house CU and then just a plug socket in the the garage.

I understand thats not right so I was planning

1. Placing a 2 gang CU with 40A 30mA RCD in the garage with a 20 or 25amp MCB for the 1 double socket
2. A 6amp MCB for the 1 light

I was going to put this into a 32 amp MCB in the consumer unit in the house where the feed is coming from.

The question is would this be ok or should I be using a smaller MCB in the house CU and the Garage consumer uint. I didn't want to put a 32 amp in the garage as the socket will be a radial circuit and not a ring and as its only going to be powering a tumble dryer I didn't want to add a 32amp mcb as this seems to High and would never trip if a fault was found on this kind of circuit.

My other option would be

taking a feed from the house consumer unit via a 16, 20 or 25 amp MCB via the armoured cable to the garage then into a metal socket that has an RCD and then from the socket to a fused spur to power a light. That way missing out the need for a CU in the garage.

Please can you give me your options, I really need help with what size MCB's need to be used in the house and garage.

Thanks for you help

I think your understanding of MCB's, fault protection & circuit design may be a little flawed.
Classic answer, but you really need to employ the services of an electrician if you want this done correctly, safely, and legally.

Having said that, you state that your current set up is "not right" but depending on a number of factors you haven't mentioned (cable size, requirement for rcd protection etc) it may actually be perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:
Do you know the size and length of the existing swa cable?

And more to the point what is wrong with the existing set up? Sounds very standard imho

to add.the rating of the MCB in the house will be totally dependent on the size and installation method of the SWA feeding the garage. e.g. if it's only 2.5mm, then you're limited to 16A or 20A. ( caveat... also depends on the length of the run and whether or not your efli is compliant with the selection of MCB, and whether or not you have extraneous services in the garage).

Adding electricity to a garage from a main consumer unit in the house {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
MASSIVE 1 ,could you change your avatar for this .:DLOL .

Hello

Im looking at adding electricity to my garage. The armoured cable is already in place but its just connected to a 16amp Circuit breaker in the house CU and then just a plug socket in the the garage.

I understand thats not right

Looks perfectly OK to me. Is there an RCD in the house CU? If the answer is yes you don't need or want another in the garage.

For a light in the garage spur off the socket to a switched fuse spur unit with a 5 amp fuse.

Looks perfectly OK to me. Is there an RCD in the house CU? If the answer is yes you don't need or want another in the garage.

For a light in the garage spur off the socket to a switched fuse spur unit with a 5 amp fuse.

I don't think the OP is a spark judging by their input ........ so dishing out "advice" like this isn't ideal..............

Reply to Adding electricity to a garage from a main consumer unit in the house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock