Discuss Adding extra sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm not a qualified electrician, just diy. I need to add 4 double sockets above the workbench in my study. The total load isn't going to exceed 13amps. I considered just using a 5m 8 gang extension lead from the existing socket on the other side of the room and pinning the cable to the skirting board, but really I'd like the sockets more spaced out along the work bench. So I have 2 options. I could wire 4 double sockets together, put a 13amp plug on the end and just plug it in to the existing socket on the other side of the room. But I know this isn't considered best practice. Or I could try and put a FCU next to the existing socket as a spur and wire the extension sockets into this. The existing socket is flush to the wall and I don't want to be chasing the wall to run cabling. I just want to pin the cable to the skirting board. Neither do I want to take up the carpet and the floor to try and find the ring and extend it. I'm looking for advice as to whether the above 2 options are ok and conform to Part P (I'm in the UK). Obviously the easiest option would be to use a 13amp plug, but is this OK to do? And do I have to use Twin and Earth or can I use 1.5mm 3 core cable? Even from an FCU?

TL;DR
Adding sockets: FCU or can I use a 13amp plug into another socket? Do I have to use Twin and Earth or will 1.5mm 3 core cable suffice?
A length of 50x100mm dado trunkin can be used to knock up a wall mounted multi plug, flex and plug.

One length of trunking, four back boxes and sockets to suit, two end caps, a dome top gland, some 1.5 flex and clips.

This allows a solution without having to play with the fixed wiring.

A length of 50x100mm dado trunkin can be used to knock up a wall mounted multi plug, flex and plug.

One length of trunking, four back boxes and sockets to suit, two end caps, a dome top gland, some 1.5 flex and clips.

This allows a solution without having to play with the fixed wiring.
So in your opinion my first option is ok. Just wire 4 double sockets together and plug into the existing socket on the other side of the room? Running 1.5mm cable through trunking. Thanks.

just knock something up that has your sockets at the desired spacing , could be dado trunking to make a nice looking job of it , you could screw the sockets direct to the wall and interlink using some conduit.
wire up and plug it in...

Yes you can put this arrangement on a plug if you so wish, it's probably the safest way for a DIYer as it doesn't require altering any connections of the fixed installation.

If you are connecting to a plug you need to use flexible cable, T&E is not suitable for connecting to a plug. Also make sure the plug is a decent quality one capable of taking 1.5mm if that is the size you intend to use, some cheap plugs can be a pig to get 1.5mm into.

Reply to Adding extra sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock