Discuss adding extra v12 socket in a car in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electricianlv

Hi there,

Ibought this 12V socket plug to install extra for my phone charger, is there any connectors which I can use to add for current plug wire, so I don't need to take apart the current wire? picture how it looks - http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTQxNlgxNDQw/z/5hEAAOSwKtlWl~ur/$_57.JPG

I have heard about the connectors that you can use without breaking the actual wire.

What are they called and where to get them?

Regards

The splice connectors are terrible and I would never recommend them in a million years. Personally I tend to use crimp connectors in my vehicles but some people prefer soldering. The crimp heatshrink connectors are best if you can use them.
You can get piggyback fuses so you tap off the fuse board which would be the easiest and least disruptive method to the wiring loom.

Sent from the moon using telepathy

It would probably be easier to just buy a 12V car accessory socket splitter and just plug it into the current socket.

You can get piggyback spade terminals if your current and new socket have spade terminals
piggyback crinp35.JPG
you would need to ensure they do not short between each other and you would need a crimping tool to apply them.
The scotchlock splices are not good to use.

If you use Scotchlocks, be ready for the socket having an intermittent fault now and then, and carry a fire extinguisher hahaha!

I've rewired a few cars (classics), I always use solder and heat shrink on the connectors (be they spades, bullets, whatever... Though in truth I prefer to make permanent soldered connections wherever possible), with crimped terminals as a temporary measure while messing around with the wiring and getting it all put together, then a touch of solder and a heatshrink boot on the crimp when I am happy. But then, soooooo many classics get destroyed because of poor wiring.

It's a pain, but do it once, do it right. Make sure it is fused, make sure the connection you make is solid and cannot short out now matter what happens and lastly, remember that car electrics can draw some very high current under fault conditions, so while you are only dealing with 12v, if you balls it up it will go very wrong, very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also , be careful what wire you tap into or you may give your ecu a dicky fit with an unrecognised load.
It's like Dave's avatar ,'They don't like it up em...'

Reply to adding extra v12 socket in a car in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net