Discuss Adding fused spur for bathroom extactor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi - I'm planning to fit an extractor with timer to a bathroom, switching on with the lights and had bought a fan isolator switch, but reading the Manrose instructions they insist on double pole fused spur with 3A fuse.

I think it will be easiest to fit a switched fuse spur and not bother with the fan isolator - this will be fitted outside the bathroom above the doorway.

Just figuring out the easiest way to fit this in since the extractor needs live and switched live.

Current setupAdding fused spur for bathroom extactor electrics1 - EletriciansForums.net

Suggested:

Adding fused spur for bathroom extactor electrics2 - EletriciansForums.net

I have also seen options that suggest to use a double pole pull switch instead and then only the extractor fan is protected by the fuse - suggestions?

Hi - I'm planning to fit an extractor with timer to a bathroom, switching on with the lights and had bought a fan isolator switch, but reading the Manrose instructions they insist on double pole fused spur with 3A fuse.

I think it will be easiest to fit a switched fuse spur and not bother with the fan isolator - this will be fitted outside the bathroom above the doorway.

Just figuring out the easiest way to fit this in since the extractor needs live and switched live.

Current setupView attachment 39711

Suggested:

View attachment 39712

I have also seen options that suggest to use a double pole pull switch instead and then only the extractor fan is protected by the fuse - suggestions?
Dave do you have any electrical experience / qualifications etc it's difficult to tailor an answer if we don't know your knowledge.

no qualifications but do the jobs I think I'm capable of and leave more complicated stuff to professionals. Normally can understand if somethings explained in simple terms - TBF I've read a lot of debate about what I'm trying with many questioning the need for the fuse, but since the manufacturer stated it I'd prefer to go that route.

They do not ask for a fused spur but do say it should be installed by a qualified electrician.
PUB0347_iss01_ID_Axial_Fan_ECO150.pdf
"In fact they say must.
NOTE: All wiring must comply with current Regulations. This system must be installed by a qualified electrician.

Attachments

• PUB0347_iss01_ID_Axial_Fan_ECO150.pdf
    265.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Isolate the main supply before making any electrical connections. This system should be installed by a qualified electrician .has plain has day.

Definitely would isolate before touching anything. fan model is MF100T if anyone wants to see the official instructions.

it actually says 'must be supervised by a qualified electrician' - and yes a fairly clear warning which I'm sure their legal team insist is put in to stop them getting sued if someone who doesn't know what they're doing injures themselves.

Happy to hear any suggestions if what i suggested is dangerous or incorrect? First thought was to check with people who know best how complicated a job it is, since when I checked the price quoted for wiring up the fan was around £200, and since I've got 2 to do, and it's only electrics needed since roofer is fitting the vent tiles and I'll mount the extractor and fit ducting etc seemed quite steep - but if someone can explain briefly maybe it will make sense.
Thanks for input so far.

Isolate the main supply before making any electrical connections. This system should be installed by a qualified electrician. • Whenfittingthroughanexternalwall,anexternalgrillemustbefittedatalltimes. • Fanshouldonlybeinstalledbyfixedwiring,aflexiblecordshouldnotbeused. • Theapplianceisnotintendedforusebyyoungchildrenorinfirmpersonswithout supervision. • Youngchildrenshouldbesupervisedtoensurethattheydonotplaywiththe appliance. • Precautionsmustbetakentoavoidtheback-flowofgasesintotheroomfrom theopenflueofgasorotheropen-fireapplianceswhenmountedinoutside windows or walls.

Happy to hear any suggestions if what i suggested is dangerous or incorrect? First thought was to check with people who know best how complicated a job it is, since when I checked the price quoted for wiring up the fan was around £200, and since I've got 2 to do, and it's only electrics needed since roofer is fitting the vent tiles and I'll mount the extractor and fit ducting etc seemed quite steep - but if someone can explain briefly maybe it will make sense.
if a have a problem with my car .do I play with it or get some knows about cars!

if a have a problem with my car .do I play with it or get some knows about cars!
Depends on you really doesn't it? I saw a chap paying halfords £10 to change his indicator bulb recently - would you have done it yourself? Is the halfords person 'qualified'?

Thanks for the copy and paste but I've got the correct instructions right in front of me - I have read it.

If this is meant to be a lecture then thanks. But, I've just looked at instructions for fitting some downlights:

This light fitting has been designed and manufactured exclusively for B&Q These instructions on wiring and installation are provided as a guideline to assist you. Some experience of electrical wiring and do-it-yourself is required to install the light fitting. If at any time you are unsure of how to proceed, please consult a qualified electrician.

So I'm safe to do the lights, but not the extractor?

Depends on you really doesn't it? I saw a chap paying halfords £10 to change his indicator bulb recently - would you have done it yourself? Is the halfords person 'qualified'?

Thanks for the copy and paste but I've got the correct instructions right in front of me - I have read it.

If this is meant to be a lecture then thanks. But, I've just looked at instructions for fitting some downlights:

This light fitting has been designed and manufactured exclusively for B&Q These instructions on wiring and installation are provided as a guideline to assist you. Some experience of electrical wiring and do-it-yourself is required to install the light fitting. If at any time you are unsure of how to proceed, please consult a qualified electrician.

So I'm safe to do the lights, but not the extractor?
Oxford dictionary " anyone who installs operates electrical equipment is an Electrician"

Reply to Adding fused spur for bathroom extactor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock