Discuss Adding in more panels at a later date. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MicraShed

I have a 3 week old install, 10x aSun Black Mono 250w panels running as 2 strings of 5, and a Fronius IG30 inverter. The original survey was for 16 panels (10 on the main roof and 6 on an extension roof) all facing SW with no shading.

We couldnt afford the £7K install for the 16, so plumped for the 10 panels.

Happy so far (apart from import meter issues which Scottish Power dont seem to be addressing having now phoned me up yesterday to cancel the meter exchange saiyng that the "rEd" display was normal - this despite the fact its clocking forwards what I appear to be exporting).

At some point in the future I would like to increase to the full 16 panels. Now will this have to be a separate install of 6 panels running through its own inverter and generation meter owing to the change in tariffs, or can they be added into the existing install and just upgrade the inverter we have?

Apologies in advance for the thicko question, but thanks for humouring me.

@MEP BruceB suggested that they might pro-rata the meter readings... I guess depends upon FIT provider, it will need a new MCS certificate for the addition, though ot may make sense to change the inverter for a new, one optimised for the new size, as opposed to adding in another small one. The addition would be at the new 'lower' rate. - So @MicraShed you need to speak with your FIT provider and get their interpreation first.

Cheers for the replies.

Its not going to be something that happens this year, but hopefully next year. I can see my meter cupboard getting crowded though with another generation meter - thankfully I still have one spare RCD circuit on my distribution board!

Cheers for the replies.

Its not going to be something that happens this year, but hopefully next year. I can see my meter cupboard getting crowded though with another generation meter - thankfully I still have one spare RCD circuit on my distribution board!

Remember that your PV system shouldn't be installed on a shared/communal RCD.

Remember that your PV system shouldn't be installed on a shared/communal RCD.
OK, not overly sure I follow you here - the install I have goes via two AC isolating switches (one in the loft at the inverter and one in the meter cupboard, then this runs into the distribution board, via a 16a RCD (30ma trip) - there are no other RCD's on that side of the circuit. The ring main, extension, external sockets, cooker, immersion and so on, are on their own RCD and only the lighting circuits remain on MCB's.

The breaker with the red dot is the PV install breaker, the one to the left of it is currently spare.
Adding in more panels at a later date. RCD - EletriciansForums.net
Please excuse the poor quality phone camera picture.

Okay, the way it is connected is fine. When you say "thankfully I still have one spare RCD circuit on my distribution board", I assume you are talking about the circuits to the left of the RCD? If you are, then it cannot be installed there. The best way would be to move one of the existing circuits from the right hand side of the board (non-RCD protected) to the left hand side of the board. This will free up some space to install an RCBO (if it is required) on the non-RCD side of the board.

Does that make sense?

I have a 3 week old install, 10x aSun Black Mono 250w panels running as 2 strings of 5, and a Fronius IG30 inverter. The original survey was for 16 panels (10 on the main roof and 6 on an extension roof) all facing SW with no shading.

We couldnt afford the £7K install for the 16, so plumped for the 10 panels.

Happy so far (apart from import meter issues which Scottish Power dont seem to be addressing having now phoned me up yesterday to cancel the meter exchange saiyng that the "rEd" display was normal - this despite the fact its clocking forwards what I appear to be exporting).

At some point in the future I would like to increase to the full 16 panels. Now will this have to be a separate install of 6 panels running through its own inverter and generation meter owing to the change in tariffs, or can they be added into the existing install and just upgrade the inverter we have?

Apologies in advance for the thicko question, but thanks for humouring me.

As far as I understand, these are the possibilities in theory;

Option.1 If you merely add extra panels to your existing install, you will lose your pre-Aug tariff and the system will be recalculated at the current rate and you would also be subject to any additional FiT requirements to fulfil.

Option.2 If you created a newly MCS signed off PV array with the additional panels, separate Inverter and additional generation meter you would need to check with installer/energy supplier that an additional meter reading could be taken and submitted for the 2ndary system on the same MPAN account...... Assuming you dont go over the 3.68KW threshold of requiring G59 permission, then other complications exist.

Option.3 If add the extra panels, your installer re submits your application and you are charged pro-rota for just one meter reading

Yes you have just entered a minefield !

The final connection into a distribution board that contains one or more circuits protected by an RCD, shall be made in such a way that the outgoing circuit for the PV system is not connected into the outgoing side of an RCD installed for the protection of other circuits (ie in a split board – connected into the part not protected by the RCD) .

im only saying this as regard to the low install prices
split board 2ways on each empty
one on RCD being used for smoke
What will happen do ya think

Reply to Adding in more panels at a later date. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock