Discuss Adding lights and a 2 gang switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pajo1999

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am currently making recessed (niche) shelving and wanted to add some lighting coming from the existing switch. I want to change to switch to a 2 gang do that these light can be controlled independently from the main light. How would I go about wiring this up? I am pretty okay when it comes to stuff like this, I've added extra sockets etc. but I can't get my head around how the lighting wiring works ? any help is greatly appreciated and I can send any photos required to help out.

Thanks a lot!

20210709_204058.jpg

If theres a neutral at the light switch you can loop the line in the switch to the second gang and join in the neutral and cpc. If there is not a neutral at the switch you'll need to get it there from the light

Yes it is rcd protected. Are there any other wires tucked in the back box of the light switch.

No you have no neutral but as @suffolkspark suggests you maybe able to repurpose the cut off red but your picture of the light fitting itself is worrying. There used to be a ceiling rose there but the new fitting only has a single flex up into the ceiling cavity and what looks like a DIY job it is highly likely that flex is connected to unenclosed block connectors. It may be time to get an electrician in.

You have a 2-way switching arrangement here (should be another switch that controls the same light). There may, or may not, be a permanent live at the switch, and if there is one, it could be any one of the 3 reds. Looks like there's a hidden junction somewhere too, complicating things. This is probably beyond DIY, best get a professional in for this one.

Theres Junction box joining cables somewhere then, youll likely need to get access from above to see whats going on
I will be changing all floors upstairs so I'll have a look then at what's going on. I'll leave some lighting cable at the neiche boxes and once the floor is lifted and I can figure out what's going on it should be easier to wire it all up or I'll get an electrical in. Thanks for your help!!

No you have no neutral but as @suffolkspark suggests you maybe able to repurpose the cut off red but your picture of the light fitting itself is worrying. There used to be a ceiling rose there but the new fitting only has a single flex up into the ceiling cavity and what looks like a DIY job it is highly likely that flex is connected to unenclosed block connectors. It may be time to get an electrician in.
It seems like I right mess ? as I said to @suffolkspark I'll leave some wire at the neiche boxes and once I'm doing the upstairs floors I'll have a look at what's going on and if I manage to fix it at least the cables are there to connect it all up or get a professional out to do it. Thanks for your help!

You have a 2-way switching arrangement here (should be another switch that controls the same light). There may, or may not, be a permanent live at the switch, and if there is one, it could be any one of the 3 reds. Looks like there's a hidden junction somewhere too, complicating things. This is probably beyond DIY, best get a professional in for this one.

I can't seem to see another switch, could have been one somewhere before but I'm not sure. Going to leave it for the meantime and have a look at what's going on in the ceiling cavity at a later date. It's getting a bit too much for my knowledge and skill. Thanks for your help!

Reply to Adding lights and a 2 gang switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net