Discuss Adding loft lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've added a junction box with 3 connection blocks to a lighting cable in the loft in order to add a spur for loft lighting. The cable I've broken into operates the landing light and other on the upstairs floor. I've followed 2 wiring diagrams, both of which have identical layouts, but I can't get the loft light to work. Instead, when I switch it on, the landing light comes on instead. I'm using an intermediate switch (live to L1 & neutral to L3) - is that the problem?

I've added a junction box with 3 connection blocks to a lighting cable in the loft in order to add a spur for loft lighting. The cable I've broken into operates the landing light and other on the upstairs floor. I've followed 2 wiring diagrams, both of which have identical layouts, but I can't get the loft light to work. Instead, when I switch it on, the landing light comes on instead. I'm using an intermediate switch (live to L1 & neutral to L3) - is that the problem?

From what you describe you don't really have much of an idea what you are doing, and you could end up doing something very unsafe.
Please get a local electrician to look at this simple job for you.

you can't take a feed from an intermediate switch. as abve. get a local spark.

Reply to Adding loft lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I’m new to the forum. Thanks for letting me join. Asking for some diy advicd… I’m trying to add a couple more security lights to the existing...
Replies
Views
Strange on this, we are wiring an extension at the moment and I would like to 3 way the (currently 2 way) landing switch to the new bedroom so...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I've moved into a flat and I've decided to replace the original electric switches and sockets with white ones. I've done them all...
Replies
Views
First post so go easy on me. i am a competent DIY’er, just after some advice. Apologise if the terminology isn’t spot on! my house was rewired two...
Replies
Views
Hi I want to add a light to my attic. There is a single switch on the landing that I want to change to a double switch and then use it to still...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock