Discuss Adding Mini LED (Marker) Lights to Lighting circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I would like to add a couple of cabinet marker lights in to the lighting circuit, on a separate 1-way switch. Only ever added LED GU10 downlights before which is straight forward but the use of transformers/drivers in lighting is new to me.

Seems some markers are DC 12v constant voltage and some are AC 12v

Like this AC one...

And this DC one...

Also seems like lots of solutions come with the UK mains plug and transformer in one which of course is not useful.

Transformer/driver will be accessible in loft.

Could I get a steer please on which I should be aiming for?

Some websites will point you in the direction of the driver you need. The lights need to be compatible with driver or they may not work/you’ll damage them.

You can buy plinth light kits that come with with a driver and just plug and play. You can cut the mains plug off and always wire in to a sfu if need be.

Some websites will point you in the direction of the driver you need. The lights need to be compatible with driver or they may not work/you’ll damage them. You can buy plinth light kits that come with with a driver and just plug and play.

I found some kits as you mention, so does not really matter AC or DC, longevity etc, all same in the end?

You can cut the mains plug off and always wire in to a sfu if need be.

Would like to avoid SFU, want this on an ordinary double switch at the entrance to room ideally.

Manufactures may stipulate that they require a 3A fuse up front but that being said I wouldn’t think twice about cutting off the plug and connecting to a 6A lighting circuit if need be. You could always have a cable from the switch feeding a sfu in a discreet place and then connect to that. Also, some kits have the driver incorporated into the plug top in which case you’d need a socket for it to plug in to.

As long as if the driver is compatible with the lights then there shouldn’t be an issue.

Reply to Adding Mini LED (Marker) Lights to Lighting circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net