Discuss Adding new hardwire lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

glias3

DIY
Reaction score
My living room has insufficient lighting, I don't know anything about electrical stuff, and I'm just looking for advice on how to get started in planning this out: I would like to add hardwire lighting to the space at some point (ceiling light, sconces) where there is currently none... Do I ask an electrician to evaluate my home/walls to see where we can place lights before making any solid plans or buying light fixtures? Or do I ask a contractor instead? Should placement not be an issue? Or do I need to buy fixtures first? (What order should I go about planning things?) What should I expect from this type of project, like would the walls need to be opened up to run more wires, etc, or are there more discreet ways to run wires? It would be nice to know whether this would be considered a minor or major project so I can plan on whether I can do this sooner or if I need to wait until I do a proper renovation of the whole space.

Thanks for your time. I'm really sorry if this question is inappropriate for this forum. I tried googling this but couldn't find any information.

Last edited:
Impossible to say from here. If you want a second ceiling light, straight along from the existing one, operated by the same switch, and the ceiling joists run the right way, the necessary wiring could be drawn into place, with zero damage to décor inside an hour, but you don't often get that lucky.

Reply to Adding new hardwire lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Wiring to new dishwasher causes garbage disposal to stop working. I just installed a GE dishwasher and came across a problem with the...
Replies
Views
I am currently looking to add 12v led cob strip lights to my mother's kitchen but confused what I need. There are currently mains wires under the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to install wall lights such as these ones (LAP Bronx Outdoor Up & Down Wall Light Black - Screwfix -...
Replies
Views
I need your help please once again in tracing a fault. Am DIY but not clueless. Converting former kitchen into 2 rooms: bathroom and laundry. The...
Replies
Views
I live in a warehouse condo, converted about 20 years ago. The building dates to about 1870 but with the conversion, all of the electrical was...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock