Discuss Adding new light from existing one-gang switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the help in my previous thread, I got things working well in the end:

Adding new light from existing one-gang switch 20200822_174900 - EletriciansForums.net Adding new light from existing one-gang switch 20200822_171640 - EletriciansForums.net

As to my new question, I have the following one-gang switch in my kitchen/diner which powers an outdoor PIR/LED floodlight:

Adding new light from existing one-gang switch 20200915_103309 - EletriciansForums.net
Adding new light from existing one-gang switch 20200915_103416 - EletriciansForums.net

So this has a twin+earth and a 3 core+earth cable - I'm guessing the twin+earth is the incoming power, and the 3 core+earth is going to the outdoor light (presumably so that the black switched live can power the light, and the brown permanent live can power any PIR sensors??)

Anywhoo, I'm looking to add some under-cabinet lighting to my kitchen which I wanted to power off this switch - by changing it to a 2-gang switch. Since there's already a 3 core+earth cable here, can I just follow the "After" guide here (Adding an extra light from a light switch - https://www.flameport.com/electric/lighting_circuits/lighting_add_extra_light_from_switch.cs4) and so run a twin+earth to the new lights (off the second gang), then link the two COMs of the switch?

As before, I'm happy to call in an electrician if really needed, but I'm also eager to learn more about electrics so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Not a problem:

you’ve got a live and neutral there at the switch. It could get a little busy in the back box, so be careful screwing the plate back.
Isolate the circuit first, of course

one thing to watch is the type of under unit lights. Some come with a fitted plug, or a plug adaptor to fit in a regular 13A socket.
You’re not meant to fit a socket like that onto a lighting circuit. (But there’s thousands across the country, running tv amplifiers in attics)

Thanks littlespark, good to know I'm thinking along the right lines :)

The under unit lights I've been looking at are the LED wedge ones which appear to be two-core mains lights, so they should be fine being properly wired through to the switch, but I'll keep an eye out for any which are fitted with a plug.

Reply to Adding new light from existing one-gang switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock