Discuss Adding new sockets in kitchen in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello there, we are wanting two new double sockets in our kitchen, one will be below counter to accommodate gas hob and ovens ignition plugs (rated 3amp each) and one above the counter to have occasional use of the coffee machine (1700watts).

For transparency we only have a washing machine in the kitchen, and not on this side of the kitchen. No intention (or room!)to plug in a tumble dryer or other high powered appliance. The plugs are used for a radio and phone/ipad charging.

Iv pulled off all the tiles, and went in to have a look at the wiring behind the plugs, hoping to find on I could spur off to an FCU for the two extra sockets.

So this is where I'm at, CU has its own fuse for the kitchen sockets, the kitchen was added as an extention probably 20 years ago, CU is new and was replaced 2 years ago. The kitchen sockets are on a 16amp fuse and what looks like a single cable running into it, so I'm lead to think this is probably a radial circuit? However upon looking at the wiring in the current sockets the first socket has three sets of wire, the second two and the third one. Would the last two sockets be spurs from the first in this case and therefore, no lt spurable? Or are the radials?

Any suggestions on how to get these two new sockets into the circuit?

Again, for transparency, we were quoted ÂŁ150 for a single bed socket spurred off the first switch, which probably couldn't happen as its got three sets of wires already!

We will use an electrician to do all the final wiring, but id like to chase out the walls and get the back boxes in so could do with finding the appropriate place for these new sockets to come from! Please do appreciate my stellar piece of art, the blue are the current sockets, black are where id like the new ones.

Attachments

• 20220927_125316.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220927_125312.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220927_090845.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220927_090854.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220927_090900.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 16642854592978218369863962018545.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 17
If it truly is a radial circuit, in 2.5mm, from a 16A breaker, then you can branch off anywhere on the circuit to any number of points.

So the one with 3 cables is normal: one in, one out and a branch off.

Reply to Adding new sockets in kitchen in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net