Discuss Adding outdoor light to existing circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Nasko31

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I simply want to add an outside light to an existing circuit in the garage.
There is a single switch operating a ceiling light in the garage, would it be ok to change the single switch to a double switch to connect the outside light or is there a better way of doing that?
Please let me know.

hugo

Hi,

I simply want to add an outside light to an existing circuit in the garage.
There is a single switch operating a ceiling light in the garage, would it be ok to change the single switch to a double switch to connect the outside light or is there a better way of doing that?
Please let me know.

hugo
You could do it that way assuming you understand switches lines and linking over the permanent line to the second switch.....unless it’s a switch fed circuit then you’ll need to identify the permanent line and link over and put the neutrals in together....got any pics of the inside of the switch?....isolate the power first ?

Assuming this is domestic the new light will require additional rcd protection if not already in place.

You could do it that way assuming you understand switches lines and linking over the permanent line to the second switch.....unless it’s a switch fed circuit then you’ll need to identify the permanent line and link over and put the neutrals in together....got any pics of the inside of the switch?....isolate the power first ?

Hiya,

Thanks for quick reply.
I have a decent understanding of basic electrical wiring but never had to extend an existing circuit before...
That's what it looks like inside the switch (and yes I did isolate the power first ;))

Adding outdoor light to existing circuit 1585478855969 - EletriciansForums.net

Do I actually need additional RCD protection for this?

Hugo

To conform to current Regulations yes it will require additional rcd protection. There doesn't appear to be a neutral there and I would guess that is two way switching.

Reply to Adding outdoor light to existing circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock