Discuss Adding PIR sensor to existing outside light. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi I am needing to adjust a 1 way switched outside light at a house in a couple of days to switch 2 way possibly with an ip rated switch on the way to the front door as it's only switched 1 way from inside the porch at present. I'm just thinking of instead of an exterior switch of using a Steinel IS140 sensor or similar but haven't used stand alone sensors before. Is there likely to be one which switches via a 3 core between the sensor and inside switch so it can operate 2 way with one end the sensor / PIR and inside the normal switch plate ? Also is it likely still able to be kept on permanently via the old fast switched on/off/on system from switch ? Thanks.

I'm not sure how this 2 way PIR/human setup would work, is it like a battle of wits? I've sensed something, no you ain't, yes I have...........what exactly is the point?

ha, yes I get what you mean, never done one like that before just wondering if would work and be neater than an extra switch slapped on the wall by the entrance gate to go 2 way with inside porch switch but now I think more clearly about it, it does sound a bit ridiculous ! think I'll give them the extra switch option and 2 way wiring or just leave it as 1 way and fit the new fitting she has bought.

Most standalone sensors have the quick switch on/off/on to make it stay on. I sometimes fit a 2 gang switch for the client with 3 core to the standalone, one gang is to switch the light on when required and the other gang powers the sensor.

Reply to Adding PIR sensor to existing outside light. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi there, I have an outside light that is turned on with a switch from inside and would like to change it to a PIR version incorporating an...
Replies
Views
I have a baffling problem with a newly-installed PIR floodlight and I'd like advice from the forum as to whether it's defective (and should be...
Replies
Views
On either side of my front door is a motion sensor wall light - it looks like both lights operate from one light switch inside the house. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I have two very specific questions, for the setup below. Setup details: Currently I have a setup with an outlet used for...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock