Discuss adding power and lighting to my extention in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
okay so any advice or pointers would be awesome it may be messy but here goes
i plan to run wires through my extension with trunking that will be waterproof so i got abit thicker cable to handle 23amps so they manage and reduce heat my main socket will have double socket double rail 13amp mk sockets rated to handle 19amps indefinitely. my 2 appliances are 2300w+1800x/230 =17.82 amps
i was looking into a 20amp loaded spur socket with fuse in case of need to isolate but reading some sites have conflicted info long story short i want a new rcb in my cu to past into extension and have sockets there washer and dryer 2 machines planned at peak consumption and power-tools when they are not on of course.
thanks in advance
mike

It took me a long time to read and understand your post. It is very helpful if you can use some punctuation, a full stop, or a comma helps. Or even start a new line.
But I digress. What you appear to be asking means a new circuit. This is notifiable work and you need to use a registered electrician. He will determine the size of cable that is needed and also will explain to you that there is no such thing as an RCB.

sorry bad grammar and not realy a helpful reply i will seek advice and get it terminated by a registered electrician was just planning to save on labour. iirc rcb is tripped if earth leaks detected and mcb is for shorts and current trips i plan to use a mcbo that covers both depepnds on cost for purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
To clarify, an RCD protects against earth leakage faults. A combined RCD and over current protective device is an RCBO.

An electrician will not just terminate. Your electrician has to comply with BS7671. He has to certify that HE has DESIGNED, INSTALLED and TESTED the installation.
it’s understandable that you want to save some grunt and go a bit yoursrlf.
here’s what you do:
Find and engage with your electrician.
if ok with him,he may let you chase in cables etc under his guidance.
then he will inspect and then plastering etc can be done, followed by second fix, testing and connection.

Reply to adding power and lighting to my extention in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net