Discuss Adding RCD Protection to a ring final in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jimmyb

If I add a rcd to a ring final at the fuse board because im adding extra sockets and moving some other I need to test all old sockets as well right ?? the reason I ask is ive quoted for the job and was discussing with the customer yesterday what I had to do, I saw her tonight at the pub and she said you havnt got the job and when I said about are you getting the same service she said the two other sparky both said that you put an rcd onto the circuit and just test the new work as your not responsible for the old, I mentioned about insulation test and what was involed to make sure there was no problems the rcd would pick up on and she said they mentioned something about unplugging everything before he arrived. Im I the only one that checks all sockets if ive change the cpd

I would do exactly the same. Test all sockets.

As far as im aware, once youve worked on a circuit, youve 'adopted it' im told. Legally it can be argued that as you was the last person to work on the circuit, therefore you are responsible for it being turned back on.

If you havent tested all the sockets and one turns out to be dodgy and dangerous, youve screwed yourself IMO.

Sounds like these other sparkys may have been after a fast buck if you ask me...

I would do exactly the same. Test all sockets.

As far as im aware, once youve worked on a circuit, youve 'adopted it' im told. Legally it can be argued that as you was the last person to work on the circuit, therefore you are responsible for it being turned back on.

If you havent tested all the sockets and one turns out to be dodgy and dangerous, youve screwed yourself IMO.

Sounds like these other sparkys may have been after a fast buck if you ask me...

Within reason.
You are resonsible for ensuring you leave the circuit safe to use. If there were hidden problems such as taped connectors under the floor which would not show up with testing you could not be held responsible for that. This is the importance of issuing a cert and keeping copies,and ensuring the cert exactly describes the extent of work and test results.

Why would you go into such details of a job so small with a client?

Is the budget really that tight that you lost the job over another 5 minutes of testing?

Either it's a customer you don't want or the way you come across when quoting the job lost it for you

In future don't discuss technical details of a job, just give them a quote for the job they want with a line of ' all works undertaken to be fully tested inspected and certificated to bs7671 blah blah'

When you get the job then run them through exactly how your going to do it if needs be

And never try and explain an insulation resistance test to a lady customer, you will likely (A) totally confuse them and it will sound like a much bigger deal than it actually is, or (B) bore the pants off them

She probably got someone else from the pub to do the work, as we all know everyone in the pub is and electrician/plumber/chippie/plasterer

Yeah sounds like exactly the job you don't want

You know how that job will turn out...... Bit of 1.5 run from nearest socket or in a connector block joint under the floor boards, 3x new sockets spurred off the ring, no grommets in boxes, all sockets different heights, no earth sleeping in sight

Defiantly no RCD or main bonding either

Certificate and invoice......lol!

'all done luv call it a £20 cash and a beer next time your in the boozer'

Yeah sounds like exactly the job you don't want

You know how that job will turn out...... Bit of 1.5 run from nearest socket or in a connector block joint under the floor boards, 3x new sockets spurred off the ring, no grommets in boxes, all sockets different heights, no earth sleeping in sight

Defiantly no RCD or main bonding either

Certificate and invoice......lol!

'all done luv call it a £20 cash and a beer next time your in the boozer'

Lets not start on the no grommits in boxes discussion again please :)

Reply to Adding RCD Protection to a ring final in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net