Discuss Adding RCD spur doesn't set but consumer RCD is fine in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Stevie186

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have ran added a fused RCD spur off a socket to feed some electric gates. I figured as it was going outside I would put an RCD on the spur on it as I had one kicking around I believe it's probably unnecessary but when I connect it to the supply it will never set and constantly trips? The RCD in the consumer unit is fine though and I have tested and it trips out as it should? I can't understand no matter where I try and put this RCD spur it never sets, I tried wiring into a few different sockets and still the same. Any ideas? I have tried 2 different units and still the same They are the safetysure metal clad RCDs spurs if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Steve

I thought I read somewhere it was best practice for cables that went external, also I was planning to maybe add an exterior socket also which again I thought was best practice. Still it makes me think there is something wrong with the main rcd. I didn't mention this is from the garage where the power comes in it has an old looking RCD I just did the same test inside the house which has its own modern consumer unit with RCD and it set and when tripped, tripped the house one too.....which is what I would expect to happen. The garage one does take 2 presses to actually activate.

Attachments

• Adding RCD spur doesn't set but consumer RCD is fine IMG_20191130_154258 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20191130_154258.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 51
I thought I read somewhere it was best practice for cables that went external, also I was planning to maybe add an exterior socket also which again I thought was best practice. Still it makes me think there is something wrong with the main rcd. I didn't mention this is from the garage where the power comes in it has an old looking RCD I just did the same test inside the house which has its own modern consumer unit with RCD and it set and when tripped, tripped the house one too.....which is what I would expect to happen. The garage one does take 2 presses to actually activate.
Garage RCD needs testing properly, do you have the correct test equipment to carry out RCD testing Stevie 186?

So the garage board is the main board which supplies the one in the house also with rcd/s. Where is the new gate connected from.

Is the feed for the Garage fed from the RCD side of the House Consumers Unit?? two RCDs in the same cable run is not advisable.

Hi - an RCD that constantly trips likely means some of the circuit conductors’ current is leaking to E or another circuit’s N perhaps. As others have said, you only need one RCD in a circuit, but it needs to be a worker :) .

Have you connected a load to the RCD spur? It may require a load to be connected before it can be set.

But as you already have a couple of RCDs in series it's pretty pointless adding another.

Thanks for all the input guys the garage is where the electricity comes in the meter(s) are there. I have attached a picture, the house has its own separate consumer units. The gate is attached as a spur off the garage sockets. No matter where I put the RCD in the garage it doesn't set, i think the main garage RCD is faulty it takes a couple of seconds of holding down the test button before it actually trips. Having said all that the last time I tested the garage RCD the house went out which doesn't usually happen but the consumer unit in the house was fine and everything the garage was still on mcbs wise. I whipped all the fuses out and tested continuity on all the fuses flipped everything off then on again went back in the house and the main rcd had tripped flipped it back and everything was back on ok. Weird.

Attachments

• Adding RCD spur doesn't set but consumer RCD is fine IMG_20191130_154312 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20191130_154312.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 43
Have you tested the garage rcd aside from pressing the button. Those Wylex rcds are normally reliable and being in a place like a garage the test facility button can get a bit sticky.

I thought I had I have deffo tested them in the house, I have one of those cheap RCD socket tester things that tell you if your feeds are reversed and let you test the RCD etc but I can't find it...typical. I will make sure I dig it out and test again.

As I understand it using an RCD FCU is not currently compliant with the regs and would be a departure.

Debatable. It appears to have been a deliberate omission due to the wording of BS 7288:2016.
This is what I'm hearing, it's down to the manufacturers to state their devices comply for use as additional protection. It wasn't an omission but someone finally noticed they didn't comply.

Not many electricians are aware of this but then take into account other trades, such as plumbers, trying to do the right thing and are unaware of this change. this needs to be widely advertised.

Reply to Adding RCD spur doesn't set but consumer RCD is fine in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock