Discuss adding socket of a spur in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
i need to add a socket in kitchen for 2300w coffee perc machine. the house is bs 3036 fuse with no rcds, so was thinking just buying a socket with rcd incorparated. there is a socket above cooker hood which is a spur and would be handiest place to take from, as i can just run along the top of units and drill down through cupboard and mount underside of cupboard where it needs to be?

so can i take a spur of a spur with this high load? and if im missing anything, ~??????

im thinking 2.5mm into fused connection, fused at 13A across top of cupboard and down into socket outlet

would i even need to put into fused connection as plug top has 13A fuse or isit to safe guard too much being pluged in.

rawrrarwrrarw yap depscobby dedap thanks yours faithfully

you need to fit FCU before the cooker hood socket. then from there to your new RCD socket. that way you can't overload the single 2,5mm cable.

yes , not ideal situation for 2300watt appliance, as jiga says, better on own independent circuit. but with what you have as a CU, best you can do without a CU replacement. unless someone can suggest a better way.

well that would save the FCU. better still if you could maintain the ring through your new socket.

if was to add to ring, would i have to cut the ring circuit and put in junction box then just add new cables in same juntion box. as you can probably tell aint done much work , so doubt myself. futures bright

keeping this house for when i need proof and i am only on the 2nd year. new cu she'd end up with the lights going off when she pushes the imersion heater.like a disco

at the existing socket, take out 1 leg and divert to JB. from JB to new socket, then back to existing socket with return leg.

would it not be same but easier if just cut the ring and put in junction box and sent 2xt&e to new socket. would you get 4x2.5mm in a junction box?

no u need to extend the ring witch means taking one leg out extending to the new socket and back to the old one. u would send to tande cables to the new socket any way

why make it complicated. my post 12 is easiest and safest. or use 2 JBs. don't cram 4 into 1.

open the socket you are using to take feed from take one twin and earth out and tuck to one side in back box then conect new twin and earth to socket with the other left in twin and earth run this new cable to new socket then back to original socket and then join the two twin and earths in a wago conection or choc box ( cabel left at back of box ) this will keep you in the ring and conection is accesable

Richard

Reply to adding socket of a spur in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net