Discuss Adding socket to upstairs hall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, looking for advice...
Upstairs hall has no socket, I'd like to add one.
Looked at adding a spur off the lighting circuit but this doesn't seem to be a good idea.
Thought about taking it off the shower supply but this isn't recommended.

I have a plug socket in a bedroom, thinking about basically using an extension cable, terminating in a single socket. Problem is if I did this, there'd be no switch in hall, just in the bedroom.

Any obvious simple way of doing this I haven't thought of?

Appreciate any replies!

Hi, looking for advice...
Upstairs hall has no socket, I'd like to add one.
Looked at adding a spur off the lighting circuit but this doesn't seem to be a good idea.
Thought about taking it off the shower supply but this isn't recommended.

I have a plug socket in a bedroom, thinking about basically using an extension cable, terminating in a single socket. Problem is if I did this, there'd be no switch in hall, just in the bedroom.

Any obvious simple way of doing this I haven't thought of?

Appreciate any replies!
simple answer is to get a local sparks in to do this small job. won't cost a lot but you'll be sure that it's done correctly and safely. you should receive a Minor Works Certificate with test results listed.

Hi @Fragglekfc.
There are a number of ways you could do this.
First is as above and get someone in who will add the socket and test it & issue cert.
Second, as a cheap and quick way is just the get an extension lead and mount that there you want. If using an extension lead then make sure there is no coiled up access cable.

Thanks, that's probably what I'll do, only problem is I can't find a socket to attach to the end of the extension cable that can be fitted to the wall so it is fixed in place. Do they exist? Checked screwfix, look ideal but no way to attach it.

Extensions that fit to the wall do exist but I have only seen 4 ways fitted to walls.
How many way socket do you need? What length of cable?

Just wire a double socket and surface box onto a plug top and plug it in if you want a double one and it's easier to wall mount. Or employ a spark to have it done properly.

Thanks all, yeah, seems to be just the 4 socket ones that can be attached, I only want a single, or double at the most. I'll keep looking!

Not sure about the terminology but, I'm assuming if it's just an extension cable plugged in to another socket, I can't connect that to one of the permanent, box shaped surface mounted sockets that would normally be connected to the main ring from behind the walls? Or could this work?

Thanks all, yeah, seems to be just the 4 socket ones that can be attached, I only want a single, or double at the most. I'll keep looking!

Not sure about the terminology but, I'm assuming if it's just an extension cable plugged in to another socket, I can't connect that to one of the permanent, box shaped surface mounted sockets that would normally be connected to the main ring from behind the walls? Or could this work?

You certainly can make up your own extension socket on a normal surface box with suitable gland...

You can get wall mountable extension leads with switches for each outlet. Problem with this idea is the flex will have to trail through a doorway which could lead to it being damaged.
Get an electrician to add you a socket for the best solution.

You certainly can make up your own extension socket on a normal surface box with suitable gland...
That sounds simple enough...for someone who's career involves this sort of thing. Plenty could go wrong for someone inexperienced, though. Flexible cable 'terminated' in a socket, for starters, could lead to a fire waiting to happen.

You can get wall mountable extension leads with switches for each outlet. Problem with this idea is the flex will have to trail through a doorway which could lead to it being damaged.
Get an electrician to add you a socket for the best solution.
Do you know of any for a single or double socket?

I appreciate what you say about the trailing cable however I can take it through a small partition so it's a straight and clean passage from one end to another

That sounds simple enough...for someone who's career involves this sort of thing. Plenty could go wrong for someone inexperienced, though. Flexible cable 'terminated' in a socket, for starters, could lead to a fire waiting to happen.

Again, my terminology will be poor here, so having an actual socket at the end of a flexible cable is not recommended, even though its just for normal use, hoover, phone charger or whatever?

I found a length of thicker cable, the type that is usually grey and used for mains cables etc, the length I found is white but same thickness and stiffness as the grey, this could be my solution, could I connect one end of this to a plug and one end to a fixed wall mounted box socket?

Thanks for your help!

That's what I was trying to say I'm probably bad with words. Mount a double socket on a double surface box and plug it in. Glorified extension lead and a lot neater

Again, my terminology will be poor here, so having an actual socket at the end of a flexible cable is not recommended, even though its just for normal use, hoover, phone charger or whatever?

I found a length of thicker cable, the type that is usually grey and used for mains cables etc, the length I found is white but same thickness and stiffness as the grey, this could be my solution, could I connect one end of this to a plug and one end to a fixed wall mounted box socket?

Thanks for your help!
No. You can't connect that to a plug top.

Was going to go ahead with my plan but things changed when I started. Opened the socket in bedroom for a look, there was a cable in and one out, I decided to take a spur off this however it turns out this must have been a spur socket as the cable out led to a light fitting in the loft.

I went and got a 30A jusction box, disconnected that socket and put that cable, the one for the loft light and the new, twin and earth cable in it. Wired it all up and everything works fine.

Only question is that I know you can take one spur off a main Circuit, I now have a socket and a light off of the main circuit. Both will be low usage, is there any problem doing this?

Thanks

Was going to go ahead with my plan but things changed when I started. Opened the socket in bedroom for a look, there was a cable in and one out, I decided to take a spur off this however it turns out this must have been a spur socket as the cable out led to a light fitting in the loft.

I went and got a 30A jusction box, disconnected that socket and put that cable, the one for the loft light and the new, twin and earth cable in it. Wired it all up and everything works fine.

Only question is that I know you can take one spur off a main Circuit, I now have a socket and a light off of the main circuit. Both will be low usage, is there any problem doing this?

Thanks
ther emay not be a problem but...... what cable size is feeding the light? i honestly feel that you should get a local electrician to check it and alter if needed. for the sake of a few quid, what price safety of you and your family?

Is the cable going to the loft light 2.5mm?
What you have done is against the regs.
Yes, it works but I would not recommend you do do it this way as we have to work to the regulations.

Does the cable you found lead directly from the socket to a light fitting?

Reply to Adding socket to upstairs hall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net