Discuss Adding socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In theory you could add RCD sockets if the cable doesn't need RCD protection but the chances of that being the best option are pretty slim.

In theory you could add RCD sockets if the cable doesn't need RCD protection but the chances of that being the best option are pretty slim.
Not if the socket you are spurring from is already a spur and there isn't an FCU involved

Rcd spurs are not recognised by BS7671 as a means of providing additional 30ma rcd protection so it would have to be listed as a departure.

Rcd spurs are not recognised by BS7671 as a means of providing additional 30ma rcd protection so it would have to be listed as a departure.
... that's still OK though isn't it? As you say, if it's listed as a departure. As long as the cable installation method does not require RCD protection presumably? Does an RCD spur protect the load side or supply?

Your departure would have to have the same level or better than suggested by BS7671, not something I would be trying to prove.

Your departure would have to have the same level or better than suggested by BS7671, not something I would be trying to prove.
I'm sure I read an article somewhere where at least one of the schemes decided that it was an oversight when writing the list of devices and that all things considered they were acceptable.

However I'm not sure ' I think I read it on the internet somewhere.' would be a valid defence. :D

Read and understand APPN15 EVEN THE VAULTED SCHEMES have to apply 7671 to their acceptance procedure. Apart from the obligatory numerous pound notes, and hoops you have to jump through you need to join every 12 months, just to keep parasites in beer money. Going to get deleted isn't it?

Read and understand APPN15 EVEN THE VAULTED SCHEMES have to apply 7671 to their acceptance procedure. Apart from the obligatory numerous pound notes, and hoops you have to jump through you need to join every 12 months, just to keep parasites in beer money. Going to get deleted isn't it?
Appendix 15 makes no reference to additional rcd protection so maybe you should read it.

Reply to Adding socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net