Discuss Adding sockets to RFC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
Want to add two double sockets to one of my ground floor RFCs. Was initially thinking that it would have to be a FCU to a spur. Would it be better practice to just incorporate them as part of the ring?
Sockets will be running a TV and either PS4 or Xbox depending on what FA junior is in to. Not much else on the rest of the circuit other than four standard lights in the corners of the living room and another TV with linked hifi and satellite thingy?
Going to have fun sinking the back boxes as said wall is old external so straight into brick.

Want to add two double sockets to one of my ground floor RFCs. Was initially thinking that it would have to be a FCU to a spur. Would it be better practice to just incorporate them as part of the ring?
Sockets will be running a TV and either PS4 or Xbox depending on what FA junior is in to. Not much else on the rest of the circuit other than four standard lights in the corners of the living room and another TV with linked hifi and satellite thingy?
Going to have fun sinking the back boxes as said wall is old external so straight into brick.
Whichever is easiest, either way is OK

this is how i did a rfc extension yesterday.

View attachment 35507

was necessary to fit a 35mm back box to allow space for the joints.
I have 25mm back box which is set back slightly from the plaster surface. The additional sockets will be going on the other side of the wall that is adjacent to the socket in the photo. Will try and see if I can drill a hole straight through from the left hand side of box in the pic.

View attachment 35508

Tels probably took him 5 minutes to extend that ring but after reading thread after thread I did this one in 25, enjoyed it though.

View attachment 35509

Soldered as well I may add!

Yes I'd guess heat shrink. I prefer a silicone rubber tube first over the connector then the heat shrink. The heatshrink can get a bit thin on the edges of the crimp.

I don't do second attempts. I did, though, use the butt of the butt crimp with solder before shrink sleeving it. A good joint I was content with.

Is all that tape and butchered crimp on the floor from your first attempt ;)

Tape was from the screw terminal whilst I was chasing - Hey, why am I explaining myself to you!

Neat job apart from the oversized sleeving which don't fit up into the connector.
you try getting smaller earth sleeve from wholesalers. anyway, the sleeve is well up to the wago, just not inside it. so ner, ner. :p

you try getting smaller earth sleeve from wholesalers. anyway, the sleeve is well up to the wago, just not inside it. so ner, ner. :p

Westwood has been the only one mentioning in the past about 2mm sleeving and going up to 4 or 6 mm T+E's CPC, when I see it on an old install it always looks so smart. I've just got to use my 94 metres of 3mm before I get some!​

Reply to Adding sockets to RFC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock