Discuss Adding to an old mem board? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Upfront rcd isn’t ideal, I know.... but it might convince the customer to replace the whole board if he’s given options and explained the pros and cons of each

Am I correct in that if a new shower circuit is installed this would need to be RCD protected as well as the other existing circuits in the bathroom. Supplementary bonding would also need to be installed if not already done so but can be omitted if conditions are met.

I think the Shower DB option is the only realistic route without putting in a new DB for the lot. I would have priced for a 2-way DB personally. I wouldn't entertain using that 3036 DB - depending on shower rating you may even exceed its rating given that 45A I'd already in use. And as mentioned remember the correction factor for rewireable fuses. After you add an RCCB and enclosure you won't save much money on a 2-way DB and it will be much less hassle.

I cant see how it would be far less hassle? I would have to find a route for the tails from the meter box to the new DB next to the existing fuse box, this will not be easy. Granted, it's the better option but I think it will be more 'hassle'.

You could always leave it and walk away. I know I would not touch a job like that personally.
Could I ask why Vortigern?
Am I correct in that if a new shower circuit is installed this would need to be RCD protected as well as the other existing circuits in the bathroom. Supplementary bonding would also need to be installed if not already done so but can be omitted if conditions are met.
All circuits in the bathroom are existing. I can't see that I have to offer RCD protection to existing circuits if I am not carrying out any work on them. I'd be happy to hear any opposing thoughts?

Could I ask why Vortigern?
With a board like that I imagine the tails and everything in it is somewhat suspect although it is true you did not pan out enough to see the DNO gear. Asbestos in the fuse carriers. The fact that from the sound of what you say the person does not really want to spend a penny more than they have to, to achieve a safer installation. I do not like patch and mend approach or piecemeal additions. And I get the feeling that anything that goes wrong with the rest of the installation will be your fault. My spider sense would make me walk away from it. But what about the 0.725 factor?

It seems HHD has taken the 0.725 factor into account when working out the CCC of the new cable, and it complies.

Those Memera MkI boards were reliable and there must be many still about. But it's unusual to see a 45A Memcert carrier, so if you do end up taking it out, please could we have it for the museum?
I'm also a bit leery of that 30A second from left with the live screw accessible, although this was a remarkably common occurrence with this form of carrier in general, especially the cheap ones. The filler would crack and fall out, or melt and run out if a fuse was subjected to a prolonged low overload for hours on end. Yes, there should be a flash pad made of a popular heat resisting fibrous substance inside.

One final thought, who carries 45A fuse wire these days (20 SWG TC)?

With a board like that I imagine the tails and everything in it is somewhat suspect although it is true you did not pan out enough to see the DNO gear. Asbestos in the fuse carriers. The fact that from the sound of what you say the person does not really want to spend a penny more than they have to, to achieve a safer installation. I do not like patch and mend approach or piecemeal additions. And I get the feeling that anything that goes wrong with the rest of the installation will be your fault. My spider sense would make me walk away from it. But what about the 0.725 factor?
Thanks for the reply.

The 0.725 factor would have been ok, i.e 64A x 0.725 > 45A.

Hoewever, I am moving further and further towards brining new tails in for a separate shower unit therefore avoiding all contact with the mem board.

This is so negative, what should go wrong with the existing installation?
I know that the regs call for all circuits in the bathroom to be RCD protected, however, I do not do this type of work day to day so am interested from those who do in this situation protect the bathroom light with an RCD and yes I can see how there could be a chance of an existing fault or borrowed neutral. Over the years the regs have got us to upgrade things by default. If it was me I would come off the 45A fuse and feed a 2-way C.U. and if the lights had to be on an RCD/RCBO explain this to the customer then the ball is in their court.

It seems HHD has taken the 0.725 factor into account when working out the CCC of the new cable, and it complies.

Those Memera MkI boards were reliable and there must be many still about. But it's unusual to see a 45A Memcert carrier, so if you do end up taking it out, please could we have it for the museum?
I'm also a bit leery of that 30A second from left with the live screw accessible, although this was a remarkably common occurrence with this form of carrier in general, especially the cheap ones. The filler would crack and fall out, or melt and run out if a fuse was subjected to a prolonged low overload for hours on end. Yes, there should be a flash pad made of a popular heat resisting fibrous substance inside.

One final thought, who carries 45A fuse wire these days (20 SWG TC)?
I would have loved to have been able to send the 45A fuse carrier to you Lucien after all the good advice you have given me over the years. However, even if it doesn't get used for the new shower I think I had better leave it in place rather than leave a big gap :).

If you come off the 45a fuse how will you deal with asbestos. That is a pita already. Will the customer pay for testing/removal. Will you remove the fuse. What are the chances the fuses are wired in anything but the correct fuse wire? I will be interested to see how you progress with the job and customer.
This is so negative
What can you mean? Do you mean what you are saying or me?

And I get the feeling that anything that goes wrong with the rest of the installation will be your fault. My spider sense would make me walk away from it.
I was referring to the impression of the above you gave me which is unusual I am sure that happyhippydad is going to charge a fair price but the customer has a choice he gets the job done correctly or not and if it costs extra if the lighting has to be sorted or supplementary bonding needs doing it is up to them to accept the cost of doing it properly. I seemed you were finding a reason why not to do the job as to how to get over the issue.

They keep banging on about how expensive a funeral is on the telly.
Let him know a new all singing CU is much cheaper.
Unless he wants to harrass his neighbour with parsnips.

Reply to Adding to an old mem board? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock